Welcome to the Oklahoma Private Security Division
The Private Security division licenses and regulates Private Security Guards and Private Investigators, armed and unarmed, and Private Security Companies by implementing standards and procedures designed to protect the interests of the public without placing undue burdens on the private security industry. CLEET issues or regulates the following licenses:
- Security Guard - Unarmed
- Security Guard - Armed
- Private Investigator - Unarmed
- Private Investigator - Armed
- Combination License - (Private Investigator/Security Guard - Armed)
- Bail Enforcer - Unarmed
- Bail Enforcer - Armed (For Bail Enforcer laws click HERE and scroll to Chapter 33A)
- Agency - Security Guard Agency
- Agency - Private Investigator Agency
- Temporary Out-of-State License - extends an existing states license to Oklahoma for a maximum of 15 days within a calendar year. This does not have a firearms provision. Rule: 390:35-5-11
- Special Event License - Licensed Oklahoma Security Guard Agency, twice in a calendar year. Applies to Guards hired for a given event. Rule: 390:35-5-4
- Conditional - 180 days; Sponsored by Licensed Security Guard Agency, or a Licensed Private Investigative Agency.
The Private Security Division also licenses:
- Polygraph Examiners
- Self-Defense Act Instructors
- Bail Enforcer
To apply for license or renewal of license, please submit application through the Thentia Portals (https://cleet.us.thentiacloud.net/webs/cleet/). CLEET will no longer accept paper applications.
Updates and Reminders for agencies and applicants:
- Payment can be made in form of credit card, certified check, company check, or money order.
- Please make sure to include the invoice/invoice number of the applicant with payment.
- Payments must only contain one applicant's fee (not multiple).
- Payment will be returned if payment is not the exact amount that is required on the invoice.
- All online applications (New, Renewal, and Upgrade Applications) are paid in two parts: The applicant will pay twenty percent (20%) of the licensing fee during the submission of application. Once application is approved, the applicant will receive an email informing them they are approved pending license fee. Applicants will have only five (5) business days to pay the license fee. Once the fee is paid, the applicant will be able to login and print their license.
- The applicant’s email address is the main form of contact.
- If the applicant has ever had former license with CLEET (law enforcement or security), please have the applicant contact CLEET to verify the email address we have on file before submitting application.
Pursuant to the Oklahoma Security Guard and Private Investigator Act and effective November 1, 2022, Private Security Guard Agencies may hire unarmed security guards and allow them to work unlicensed for up to forty-five (45) days while their complete application to the Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training is being processed. The application must be complete, including fingerprints, and the application fee must be paid. Please Note: The forty-five (45) day countdown begins on the date of employment, not the date the application is submitted, so it is recommended that employees submit their application as soon as possible to take advantage of the grace period. If the application of the unlicensed unarmed guard is denied before forty-five (45) days has expired or if the time expires before the license is issued, the employee will not be allowed to continue to operate as an unarmed security guard until a license is issued.
390:35-5-13. Notification of change of name or address or telephone number
(a) Private investigators, armed security guards, and unarmed security guards shall maintain, with the Council, current residential addresses and shall notify in writing the Council of any change of name. Notification of change of name shall include copies of any marriage license or court document which reflects the change of name. Notice of change of address or telephone number must be made within ten (10) days of the effected change. Notices will not be accepted over the phone.
Personal Information Change Form
Affidavit for Agency Name Change
Drug Dogs and Bomb Dogs
Self-Defense Act (SDA) Instructors
Guidelines for Continuing Education Credit