Application for Presenters - 2017 OK Suicide Prevention Conf.
2017 Oklahoma Suicide Prevention Conference
* Indicates Required Field
“Bringing Light to the Darkness; Suicide Prevention Strategies"
April 27, 2017
National Center for Employee Development NCED
Conference Center and Hotel
Norman, OK 73071
The Annual Oklahoma Suicide Prevention Conference is being hosted by the Oklahoma Suicide Prevention Council. The conference is supported by the Oklahoma Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services and the Garrett Lee Smith Memorial Act.
You are invited to build your skills, enhance your day-to-day work and share your expertise on evidence-based treatments, promising practices and practical tools. The conference will bring together local, state and national leaders to discuss best practice and research-based interventions and prevention strategies. Take an active role by sharing your knowledge.
Apply today to be a presenter at the 2017 Oklahoma Suicide Prevention Conference. All presenters are awarded full scholarships to this conference. Presenters who are selected through this call process will not receive any travel compensation.
The conference will feature plenaries and workshop sessions. Applications are being accepted for workshop sessions. The 90-minute workshop sessions will combine theory and practical implementation strategies. If you are considering a multi-part workshop, please indicate so in your application.
Content focuses on the concerns of human resource field, employee assitance programs, suicide survivors, counselors, social workers, direct care providers, physicians, psychiatrists, psychologists, teachers, students, school counselors, families, youth, child welfare professionals, juvenile justice professionals, healthcare professionals, public health workers, administrators, faith communities, educators, and law enforcement.
AREAS OF FOCUS INCLUDE:
• Reducing stigma and promoting mental health as a part of overall wellness;
• Decreasing disparities and addressing risk/protective factors;
• Increasing access to effective mental health and substance abuse treatment;
• Creating culturally and linguistically competent strategies;
• Upstream approaches to Suicide Prevention including building resiliency, help seeking behaviors and protective factors;
• Teaching evidence-based interventions for behavioral health and suicide prevention;
• Building capacity to identify referral networks;
• Suicide reporting guidelines for the media;
• High risk population strategies training (e.g. geriatric, veterans, youth);
• Supporting those who have been affected by suicide (e.g., loss survivors, suicide attempt survivors, clinicians who have lost a client to suicide, first responders);
• Problem solving and conflict resolution;
• Guidelines for advocacy;
• Suicide prevention strategies for Native American population;
• Best practices for clinicians in assessment and treatment of potentially suicidal clients;
GUIDELINES FOR PARTICIPATION:
Each prospective presenter must fully complete this application. Submissions must be made on this official application form. Please be as succinct as possible. Spelling and grammatical errors will be taken into consideration during the selection process.
Each presenter will be scheduled a presentation time by the conference program committee. By agreeing to participate in the conference you grant permission for your presentation to be audio and videotaped. Please contact Julie Geddes at JGeddes@odmhsas.org for assistance in submitting this application.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SUBMISSION:
In order to be considered, submit your application by midnight January 8, 2017 using the ‘submit’ button at the bottom of the form. Applicants whose presentations have been selected will be notified by January 16, 2017. For additional conference information, please call 405-522-8300.
All Co-Presenters MUST submit a separate application with their information prior to approval.
(no dashes e.g. 555554444)
(no dashes e.g. 5554443333)
(no dashes e.g. 5554443333)
*NOTE: For PowerPoint or other computer related presentation formats, it is recommended that presenters bring their own laptop computers and a backup copy of each presentation.
Please select the audio visual and room setup requirements.
**Microphones will be provided for plenary sessions but not for breakout sessions unless warranted.
Please note that we are making every effort to have a green conference this year. As part of this effort, we ask that all presenters provide any PowerPoint presentations and/or handouts in electronic format to be loaded on the Department's website following the conference. We will not be printing any handouts, however, you are welcome to bring your own handouts.
Electronic Presentations and Handouts