Boats & Outboard Motors
All boats, with a few exceptions, used, or capable of being used, as a means of transportation on the waters of this State, are required to be titled and registered annually.
Please note, effective July 1, 2013, canoes and paddleboats, as defined below, are no longer subject to titling and/or registration in Oklahoma.
- “Canoe” means a light narrow boat with both ends sharp and which is propelled by paddling and includes similar craft such as kayaks.
- “Paddleboat” means a boat less than eight (8) feet in length designed to be propelled solely by human power through a belt, chain or gears.
All outboard motors in excess of ten (10) horsepower, with a few exceptions, are required to be titled and registered annually.
A boat or outboard motor currently registered in another state or country may visit Oklahoma for a maximum of sixty (60) days in the course of one (1) calendar year, before having to be titled and registered in Oklahoma.
All motor license agents can process titles and register boats and outboard motors.
In general, boat and outboard motor titling and lien procedures are the same as for a vehicle. Refer to Title and Lien portion of this website for specific information.
Excise tax is normally assessed on transfers of ownership of boats and outboard motors and is based on the manufacturer's original retail selling price of the unit. Boat/outboard motor excise tax is assessed as follows:
• New Boat/motor: 3.25% of the Manufacturer's Original Retail Selling Price
• Used Boat/motor: For each subsequent year of age, the taxable value is decreased 35%
The registration period for boats and outboard motors runs from July 1 through June 30 of the following year.
Registration fees are based upon a combination of the manufacturer's original retail selling price of the boat/motor and its current age.
Calculation of Boat and Outboard Motor Annual Registration Fees:
All fees are rounded to the nearest dollar/Maximum registration fee is $151.00
Mfg. original retail price of $150.00 or less = statutory fee is ($2.25) + $1.00
Mfg. original retail price over $150.00:
- 1st year fee = statutory fee (2.25) + $1.00 for every $100.00 of the price or any fraction thereof
- 2nd through 10th year fee = statutory fee + 90% of the previous year's price-based fee
- 11th year and thereafter = statutory fee + 90% of the 10th year price-based fee
At their option, owners may register their boat or outboard motor for one (1) or three (3) years.The 3 year registration fee is equal to 90% of the total of the individual year's fees.
Active duty military personnel qualify for a special annual registration rate of $17.00 on boats and outboard motors, under the same guidelines as the military registration rate on vehicles. A completed US Armed Forces Affidavit is required.
The owner must carry the current boat and outboard motor registration in the boat while in operation.
Page last updated 7/11/2014