The Oklahoma Merit Protection Commission consists of nine members appointed for three year terms. The members are removable only for cause.
- Two members of the Commission are appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate.
- Two members of the Commission are appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives.
- Five members of the Commission are appointed by the Governor. No more than four of the Governor's appointments may be from the same political party.
Based on 74 O.S. Section: 840-1.7
The MPC Commissioners are:
- Chairman Dewade Langley
- Commissioner Charles Burton
- Commissioner Scott Gesell
- Commissioner Robert Braudrick
- Commissioner Kim Neese
- Commissioner Brian Crain
- Commissioner Ryan Lewellyn
Click here for biographic information and pictures of each Commissioner.
The Oklahoma Merit Protection Commission:
- Receives and acts on complaints, counsels persons and groups on their rights and duties and takes action to obtain voluntary compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Personnel Act;
- Investigates charges of violations of the Oklahoma Personnel Act within their jurisdiction;
- Investigates charges of abuses in the employment practices of the Administrator of the Office of Personnel Management or of any state agency;
- Investigates charges of violations of the rules of the Merit System of Personnel Administration and prohibited activities in the classified service;
- Establishes a statewide Alternative Dispute Resolution Program to provide dispute resolution services for state agencies and employees;
- Establishes rules needed to perform the duties and functions of the Commission;
- Establishes guidelines for the qualifications, duties, responsibilities, authority, power, and continued employment of the Executive Director, Administrative Hearing Officers, mediators, and other resolution arbitrators or facilitators; and
- Performs other statutory duties.
Based on 74 O.S. Section: 840-1.9