- Licensing and Education
- Regulated Entities
- Anti-Fraud Unit
- Public Information
LINES OF AUTHORITY
THESE RESTRICTIONS APPLY TO BOTH APPLICANTS FOR A BAIL BONDSMAN LICENSE AND THE APPLICANT’S SPOUSE!
A. The following persons or classes shall not be bail bondsmen, shall not perform the acts of a bail bondsman and shall not directly or indirectly receive any benefits from the execution of any bail bond:
3. Police officers;
4. Committing judges;
5. Municipal or district court judges;
7. Sheriffs, deputy sheriffs and any person having the power to arrest or having anything to do with the control of federal, state, county or municipal prisoners;
8. Any person who possesses a permit pursuant to the provisions of Section 163.11 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes or is an officer, director or stockholder of any corporation holding such a permit, except as specifically authorized for a licensed bondsman in Section 1 of this act;
9. Any person who is an agent or owner of any establishment at which low-point beer as defined by Section 163.2 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes is sold for on-premises consumption, except as specifically authorized for a licensed bondsman in Section 1 of this act;
10. Any person who holds any license provided for in Section 518 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes or is an agent or officer of any such licensee, except for an individual holding an employee license pursuant to paragraph 20 of subsection A of Section 518 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes or as specifically authorized for a licensed bondsman in Section 1 of this act;
11. Any person who holds any license or permit from any city, town, county, or other governmental subdivision for the operation of any private club at which alcoholic beverages are consumed or provided, except as specifically authorized for a licensed bondsman in Section 1 of this act;
12. Any person or agent of a retail liquor package store; and
13. Any person whose bail bondsman license has been revoked by the Insurance Commissioner.
B. This section shall not apply to a sheriff, deputy sheriff, police officer, or officer of the law who is not on duty and who assists in the apprehension of a defendant.
C. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons possessing permits or licenses pertaining to low-point beer or alcoholic beverages, as defined in Sections 163.2 and 506 of Title 37 of the Oklahoma Statutes, which were issued prior to May 23, 1984. No one shall be permitted to maintain an office for conducting bail bonds business where low-point beer or alcoholic beverages are sold for on-premises consumption.
Note – See 59 O.S. 1315.1(A) effective 11-01-2015 which states in part “. . . . . an exception to the provisions in paragraph 8, 9, 10 or 11 of Section 1315 of Title 59 of the Oklahoma Statutes prohibiting a person from being a bail bondsman or receiving any benefit from the execution of any bail bond, a person who holds an ownership interest in a restaurant establishment where alcoholic beverages are lawfully sold incidental to the sale of food or who is an officer, director or stockholder of a corporation that owns or operates a restaurant where alcoholic beverages are lawfully sold incidental to the sale of food, may be a licensed bail bondsman.”
Examination Fee: $100.00
Date: As Scheduled
Passing Criteria: 70%
At least thirty (30) days shall intervene between examinations. After third and subsequent examination failures, applicant may not apply to be examined for at least one year after the last examination date.
Results will be provided after the applicant is examined. The exam vendor will send all exam results to the Oklahoma Insurance Department.
To confirm that your license has been issued, go to this website and search using the search criteria.