US-69 Comanche Ave. Project in McAlester
The project area spans from Wade Watts Ave. to Peaceable Rd. and includes a temporary J-turn on US-69 between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd.
New on- and off-ramps will be constructed from the north and southbound US-69 frontage roads to US-69 at Wade Watts Ave.
About the Project
- $13 million contract
- Awarded to Koss Construction Company of Topeka, Kansas
- Work started February 2017 and is expected to be completed in March 2018
- Widening the US-69 bridges over Wade Watts Ave. and the Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad;
- Construction of on and off-ramps from US-69 to the frontage roads near Wade Watts Ave. north of Comanche Ave.;
- Adding a J-turn on US-69 on the northbound frontage road between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd. This is a temporary construction that will allow access across US-69 from the frontage roads in this area as access at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd will be closed. This will be replaced in a future reconstruction project by a permanent turn around;
- Removing the signalized light at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd. and permanently closing direct access to these roads from US-69; and
- A complete overlay and re-striping of the frontage roads from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Rd. to make them one-way.
Impact to Traffic
Northbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. starting Feb. 13 and continuing through June 2017. Wade Watts Ave. is also closed under US-69 at during this time.
Motorists can subscribe to receive email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.
A second project scheduled for federal fiscal year 2019 will reconstruct US-69 from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Ave. including the north and southbound frontage roads and will construct an interchange at Kinkead Rd.
Last Modified on 03/09/2017
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) ensures that no person or groups of persons shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, retaliation or genetic information, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any and all programs, services, or activities administered by ODOT, its recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors. To request an accommodation please contact the ADA Coordinator at 405-521-4140 or the Oklahoma Relay Service at 1-800-722-0353.