US-69 Comanche Ave. Project in McAlester
The project area spans from Wade Watts Ave. to Peaceable Rd. and includes a temporary J-turn on US-69 between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd.
New on- and off-ramps will be constructed from the north and southbound US-69 frontage roads to US-69 at Wade Watts Ave.
About the Project
- $13 million contract
- Awarded to Koss Construction Company of Topeka, Kansas
- Work started February 2017 and is expected to be completed in March 2018
- Widening the US-69 bridges over Wade Watts Ave. and the Arkansas-Oklahoma Railroad;
- Construction of on and off-ramps from US-69 to the frontage roads near Wade Watts Ave. north of Comanche Ave.;
- Adding a J-turn on US-69 on the northbound frontage road between Peaceable Rd. and Kinkead Rd. This is a temporary construction that will allow access across US-69 from the frontage roads in this area as access at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd will be closed. This will be replaced in a future reconstruction project by a permanent turn around;
- Removing the signalized light at Peaceable Rd. and Comanche Rd. and permanently closing direct access to these roads from US-69; and
- A complete overlay and re-striping of the frontage roads from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Rd. to make them one-way.
Impact to Traffic
Northbound US-69 is narrowed to one lane over Wade Watts Ave. just north of Comanche Ave. starting Feb. 13 and continuing through June 2017. Wade Watts Ave. is also closed under US-69 at during this time.
Motorists can subscribe to receive email updates or check for traffic advisories online at www.odot.org. The contractor can earn financial incentives for early completion of the project.
A second project scheduled for federal fiscal year 2019 will reconstruct US-69 from Kinkead Rd. to Peaceable Ave. including the north and southbound frontage roads and will construct an interchange at Kinkead Rd.