US-377/SH-99 Washita River Bridge Replacement
Now Open - May 28, 2016
The new US-377/SH-99 bridge over the Washita River opened early during Memorial Day weekend 2016
US-377/SH-99 bridge at Washita River near Tishomingo opens early
The US-377/SH-99 bridge over the Washita River between Tishomingo and Madill reopened to traffic May 28, 2016 following early completion of a bridge replacement project. The old truss bridge was closed due to high water on May 10, 2015, and remained closed due to flooding damage. The bridge was originally scheduled for replacement in Federal Fiscal Year 2018, but ODOT expedited the project due to the impact of the closure and detour.
About the Project
- More than $8.3 million contract with financial incentives for early completion
- Awarded to Overland Corp. of Ardmore
- Work started in October 2015 and the new bridge is expected to open to traffic in summer 2016
- The old bridge was closed on May 10, 2015, due to flooding and remained submerged underwater for several weeks.
- The powerful force of the Washita River pushed a large amount of driftwood and debris up against the bridge, damaging the very old structure.
- Before the flooding, the structurally deficient truss bridge was scheduled for replacement in Federal Fiscal Year 2018, but ODOT expedited the project due to the impact of the closure to drivers.
The last pieces of the old bridge were removed using a controlled demolition, pictured above.
Traffic between Tishomingo and Madill was detoured on SH-22, SH-1 and US-177
Flood waters rose high enough to submerge the Washita River bridge in May 2015.
Debris and tree limbs bent portions of the bridge structure.
Last Modified on 01/30/2017
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) ensures that no person or groups of persons shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, retaliation or genetic information, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any and all programs, services, or activities administered by ODOT, its recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors. To request an accommodation please contact the ADA Coordinator at 405-521-4140 or the Oklahoma Relay Service at 1-800-722-0353.