I-40 Resurfacing and Bridge Reconstruction
at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St., Sooner Rd. in Del City
This view of eastbound I-40 at S.E. 15th St.in Del City is familiar to thousands of motorists, but it soon will start to change. A 2.5-year-long project to reconstruct six bridges at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. was awarded in June 2020 and work is expected to start by late summer 2020.
I-40 Bridge Construction Traffic Impact in Del City through 2023
This summer 2020 aerial view shows I-40 at Crutcho Creek and S.E. 15th St. in Del City after a resurfacing project done to help limit the number of emergency lane closures ahead of construction.
About the I-40 Bridge Reconstruction at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd.
- Six new bridges and approaches are planned on eastbound and westbound I-40 at Crutcho Creek, S.E. 15th St. and Sooner Rd. in Del City.
- This estimated nearly $80 million contract was awarded to Manhattan Road and Bridge Co. of Tulsa in June 2020 by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission.
- The project is estimated to take nearly 2.5 years to complete and traffic will be narrowed to two lanes in each direction for much of that time. Work is expected to begin in late summer 2020.
- The bridges will be widened to accommodate a fourth lane in each direction and built taller to bring them to modern bridge standards.
- This project addresses the worst known structurally deficient bridges on the state system in the Oklahoma City metro area.They have monopolized ODOT’s Oklahoma City metro maintenance resources due to poor conditions and ongoing significant repair needs.
- Nearly 90,000 vehicles use this area daily, on average, according to 2018 traffic data.
About the I-40 Resurfacing between I-35 and Sooner Rd.
- Eastbound and westbound I-40 was resurfaced between I-35/Fort Smith Junction (mm 153) and Sooner Rd. (mm 156A) this spring ahead of a six-bridge reconstruction project in Del City.
- This project will help prepare the surface for heavy traffic to limit the amount of potential additional closures once the bridge reconstruction work starts in summer 2020.
- This $1.4 million resurfacing contract was awarded in October 2019 by the Oklahoma Transportation Commission to T.J. Campbell Construction Company.
- Work started March 29 and completed ahead of schedule in late April 2020.
Stay in Contact
- Follow the latest traffic advisories on www.odot.org or sign up there for advisories to come direct to your email.
- Check @OKDOT on Facebook and Twitter for updates.
Last Modified on 09/09/2020
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) ensures that no person or groups of persons shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, retaliation or genetic information, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any and all programs, services, or activities administered by ODOT, its recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors.