I-235/US-77 and I-44
This view of the I-235/US-77 and I-44 interchange soon will change with reconstruction starting in spring 2019 to widen I-235/US-77 to six lanes at I-44.
I-235 ramp, lanes close at I-44 Saturday, Monday night
The following closures will impact I-235 and I-44 from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, Dec. 14. Motorists who cannot avoid the area by taking alternate routes are advised to plan extra travel time and expect delays and congestion as traffic adjusts.
- Southbound I-235 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be closed;
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235/US-77 will be closed; and
- I-235 will be narrowed to one lane in each direction between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St.
The following closures will impact I-235 and I-44 from 7 p.m. Monday, Dec. 16, to 6 a.m. Tuesday, Dec. 17:
- Southbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. on-ramp from Wilshire Blvd. will be closed;
- Southbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext. on-ramp from N. 63rd will be closed;
- Southbound I-235/US-77 off-ramp to westbound I-44 will be closed;
- Southbound I-235/US-77 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be closed; and
- Westbound I-44 off-ramp to southbound I-235/US-77 will be closed.
Motorists are advised to use additional caution when merging onto southbound I-235/US-77 from N. 63rd St. as this on-ramp will be shifted and the merge area will be shorter for a period of time.
Work on the new flyover ramp bridge piers continues along I-235 at the I-44 interchange.
ABOUT THE PROJECT
- This phase will widen I-235/US-77 to six lanes between N. 50th St. and N. 63rd St and will feature a four-level interchange, the first of its kind on the state highway system.
- This $105 million contract was awarded in December 2018 to Allen Contracting Inc. of Oklahoma City, making it the largest, single dollar amount contract awarded in department history.
- There will be 11 bridges total constructed as part of this phase to reconstruct the I-235/US-77 and I-44 interchange, which includes building two new flyover ramps to move traffic more efficiently from northbound I-235 to westbound I-44 and from eastbound I-44 to northbound I-235/US-77/Broadway Ext.
- Once the flyover ramps are constructed, the two cloverleaf ramps for those movements will be eliminated. The cloverleaf ramps for westbound I-44 on-ramp to southbound I-235 and southbound I-235 off-ramp to eastbound I-44 will be widened and reconstructed. These ramps will have an up to 10-day closure later in the project.
- Click here to read the project launch press release.
- Motorists can expect northbound and southbound I-235/US-77 to generally remain open to two lanes of traffic during peak commute hours, but there will be night-time and weekend lane closures at varying times.
- There are up to five full weekend closures of I-235/US-77 and I-44 in the schedule to allow for bridge removals and hanging new bridge beams.
- The northbound I-235 off-ramp to N. 50th St. also will close for the contractor to complete the new connection to N. 50th St., which includes modifying the intersection of N. 50th St. and Santa Fe Ave. The northbound I-235 on-ramp from N. 50th St. is permanently closed to make room for the eastbound I-44 flyover ramp to northbound US-77/Broadway Ext.
- Off Broadway detour options include I-35 to the east, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway to the west, I-44 and N. Lincoln Blvd.
The above detour options will help motorists stay Off Broadway during the estimated two-year project. The detours are I-35, SH-74/Lake Hefner Parkway, I-40, N. Lincoln Blvd. and in partnership with the City of Oklahoma City, I-44 motorists also may use Martin Luther King Blvd./Eastern Ave.
STAY UP TO DATE
- Motorists may follow @OKDOT on Twitter and Facebook for regular traffic updates.
- Check interstate conditions before you hit the road at www.oktraffic.org.
- Sign up at www.odot.org for daily metro area traffic advisories direct to your email. Look for the blue box on the home page, enter your email address and select your areas of interest.
- Traffic advisories and interstate conditions also can be found in ODOT's new app in the Apple App Store. An Android version of the app is expected to be available in early 2019.
- Reconstruction of westbound I-44 ramp to northbound I-235/US-77 and addition of a direct connect from N. Lincoln Blvd. to US-77/Broadway Ext. is estimated at $16 million and currently scheduled for award in 2020.
This graphic shows the sequence of the seven phases needed to reconstruct and widen I-235/US-77 at I-44. The phase starting in spring 2019 is shown in red and orange. The pink phase is scheduled for 2020.
- 2011 — Southbound US-77 ramp to westbound I-44 at $19.2 million. Shown on map above in yellow.
- 2013 — I-44 eastbound to I-235 southbound ramp at the I-235/I-44 interchange at $10 million. Shown on map above in light blue.
- 2017 — I-235 between N. 36th St. and I-44, which includes the installation of the 4-million pound BNSF railroad bridge. This $88 million phase is shown on the map above in green and dark blue. Learn more about this phase at https://www.ok.gov/odot/OFF_Broadway_and_I-235.html
Last Modified on 12/13/2019
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) ensures that no person or groups of persons shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, retaliation or genetic information, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any and all programs, services, or activities administered by ODOT, its recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors.