Work continues to reinforce the most deteriorated piers on the I-44 Belle Isle bridge in Oklahoma City.
I-44 lanes open on Belle Isle bridge, work continues on pier project
- All lanes of westbound I-44 and Northwest Expressway are open.
Repair work on the I-44 Belle Isle bridge is expected to finish by winter 2015.
Timeline of Belle Isle bridge repairs
- Restek Inc. was selected in September 2014 for an estimated $3 million rehabilitation project on the I-44 Belle Isle bridge.
- This project was designed to help extend the lifespan of the bridge, which opened in late 1978.
- The project started in early March and a completion date is estimated for early 2016.
- This bridge carries 100,000 vehicles on average per day.
- As contractors worked on the initial project, they uncovered significant damage in at least two piers that caused concern. This damage was not visible to the eye during previous inspections. It became visible as workers removed concrete on the piers in order to replace it with new concrete to extend the life of the bridge.
- This unknown damage prompted ODOT to close lanes and ramps on the bridge April 16 while emergency repairs were started on the piers. These closures help ensure the safety of both motorists and the workers who are working underneath the bridge.
- April 24 - Executive Director Mike Patterson issued an emergency declaration and tasked Sherwood Construction to perform a $500,000 interim project to reinforce the most deteriorated piers.
- May 4 - The Oklahoma Transportation Commission authorized ODOT to solicit bids for an emergency project to repair the extensive deterioration.
- May 20 - The $13.5 million emergency contract with Sherwood Construction for the major repair project was approved.
- Late June - The closed lanes of I-44 reopened.
- Late August - Westbound I-44 off-ramp to NW Expwy opened. The ramp is expected to close temporarily as the project progresses.
- Late October - The eastbound NW Expwy on-ramp to eastbound I-44 reopened.
- Winter 2015/2016 - The major repair project on deteriorated piers by Sherwood Construction is expected to be completed.
- Winter 2015/2016 - All rehabilitation work by Restek is scheduled for completion.
TO LEARN more about this project, see the following press releases:
Last Modified on 11/13/2015
The Oklahoma Department of Transportation (ODOT) ensures that no person or groups of persons shall, on the grounds of race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, disability, retaliation or genetic information, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be otherwise subjected to discrimination under any and all programs, services, or activities administered by ODOT, its recipients, sub-recipients, and contractors. To request an accommodation please contact the ADA Coordinator at 405-521-4140 or the Oklahoma Relay Service at 1-800-722-0353.