- ON-LINE APPLICATIONS
- ON-LINE RENEWAL
- BOARD INFORMATION
- LICENSE INFORMATION
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I apply for a license in Oklahoma?
There are two ways to apply for a license in Oklahoma. You can either apply online by going to our website www.obespa.ok.gov, click on On-line Applications and follow the instructions to set up an account OR you can apply by paper by going to our website www.obespa.ok.gov, go to License Information, click on Forms and find the application for which license type you are applying for.
2. Applications for licensure must be received one week prior to each Board meeting. A temporary license will be issued to those becoming licensed as a Speech-Language Pathologist, Speech-Language Pathology Assistant, Clinical Fellow and Audiologist. Those becoming licensed as an Audiology Assistant will not be issued a temporary license but will be approved for a license at a Board Meeting.
3. The Board now has a required Reference letter form that you will use for reference letters. You can find the form under License Information and then click on forms. Reference letters are not required for Speech-Language Pathology Assistants or Audiology Assistants.
4. How do I change my name on my license or certificate?
A licensee must provide the Board office a copy of the legal documentation of name change, i.e. a marriage certificate, divorce decree or legal name change document. There is a $5.00 fee for the office to remake a licensure card and $25.00 for a new large certificate. If you do not need a new card then you can fax or email the Board office the legal documentation for it to be updated in the system
5. How do I request a License Verification letter?
A licensee or company must send the Board office a check for $5.00 and a request in writing for a verification of licensure. If the state that is requesting the verification has a form they provide for the Board office, you will mail that in with your check. If the state that is requesting the verification does not provide a form you will need to include the licensees name, license number and address it needs to be mailed to.
6. How do I request a list of Active licensees in Oklahoma?
An individual or company must send the board office a check for $25.00 and a letter listing the database items wanted on the list. Example: First Name, Last Name, Address, City, State, Zip Code, License Number, License Type, etc. The individual or company must provide their e-mail address. The list will then be e-mailed in Excel format.
7. Do I have to prove citizenship in Oklahoma to be licensed?
-Currently the federal and state laws prohibit licensure of an individual without proof of citizenship. You will print the citizenship form provided during application process to take to a notary to be signed. You will need to provide your Drivers License, Passport or another form of ID for proof of citizenship.
8. How many continuing education hours must a licensee complete to remain licensed in Oklahoma?
A minimum of twenty (20) clock hours of acceptable continuing education will be required for renewal of a license to practice Audiology, Speech-Language Pathology, or Speech-Language Pathology Assistants in a two year period. The continuing education period begins in January of every odd-numbered year. A licensee obtaining an initial licensure during a two year period shall have his or her continuing education requirement prorated to 2.5 clock hours per full quarter remaining in that period. Audiology Assistants are not required to obtain CEU hours. The 20 hours of continuing education required for license renewal must include at least three clock hours of professional ethics, except when, during the first year of licensure, the required hours of continuing education are less that five clock hours.
9. How will I know that a course would meet the Ethics CE requirement?
There is no "one size fits all" answer to this question. The intent of the rule is for these courses to be related to Speech-Language Pathology and/or Audiology. (For example, a course on Ethics targeted for nurses will not meet this criteria.) The licensee is directed to refer to the List of Approved CE activities on the website. It is available under License Information/Forms.
10. What is required of me regarding Continuing Education if I plan to supervise a Clinical Experience Intern or a Speech-Language Pathology Assistant?
-The supervision Continuing Education requirement encompasses supervision of Clinical Experience Interns and /or Speech-Language Pathology Assistants. It does NOT apply to supervision of students in any setting. The rule is stated in two parts and this requirement will only need to be completed one time:
OAC 690:10-5-6: Effective January 1, 2017, the supervisor must have successfully completed at least six hours of Board approved training in clinical supervision. At least three of the six hours must include knowledge and skills areas necessary for supervisors of clinical experience interns as identified by ASHA or other entities acceptable to the Board.
OAC 690:10-7-3: Effective January 1, 2017, the supervisor must have successfully completed at least six hours of Board approved training in clinical supervision. At least three of the six hours must include knowledge and skills areas necessary for supervisors of SLP assistants as identified by ASHA or other entities acceptable to the Board.
Many presenters have asked teh Board for pre-approval of their CE activity. As part of that review, OBESPA has asked the presenters to delineate the amount of the time that will be devoted to each of the above state populations. If a licensee is unsure of the breakdown of the hours of a particular CE course they are considering attending, the licensee should ask the presenter for that clarification in advance of attending.
This requirement is for those supervisors that plan to supervise a new licensee after January 1, 2017. After January 1, 2017 an dnew applications for approval of supervision will need to attache the CEU certificates indicating they have met the supervision requirement.