Citizen Information & Assistance
Citizen Complaint Information
OAC 460:25-15-3 (Non-Mining Blasting)
OAC 460:20-57-3 (Coal Mining)
OAC 460:10-35-3 (Non-Coal Mining)
Any citizen may request a site inspection by furnishing to an authorized representative of the Director of the Oklahoma Department of Mines a signed, written statement (or an oral report followed by a signed, written statement) giving the authorized representative reason to believe that a violation, condition or practice exists and setting forth a phone number where the citizen can be contacted.
Within 30 days (10 days for coal mining) of the state inspection, or, if there is no state inspection, within 30 days (15 days for coal mining) of receipt of the citizen's written statement, the Department may send the citizen the following:
- If an inspection was made, a description of the enforcement action taken if any.
- If you wish to file a citizen complaint, please include in your letter:
- Your name - typed or printed legibly in addition to your signature.
- Your mailing address and your physical address if different from your mailing address. Be sure to include your zip code.
- Your telephone number or a number where we can reach you - include your area code. Also indicate the best time of day to contact you.
- The legal description of your property, if you know it. (Section, Township, Range, County)
- The name and permit number of the mining company, if you know it.
- The date you are writing the letter and the date of any alleged violations.
- A statement as to whether or not you wish your complaint to be kept confidential. Note - if enforcement action is taken as a result of this complaint, your name will have to be disclosed in any administrative hearings that might follow.
- A statement as to whether or not you wish to accompany an inspector during an inspection conducted to investigate your complaint.
- Please describe the nature of your complaint as fully as possible. If your complaint concerns blasting, including the date and time of suspect blasts is important.
Mail your letter to:
For Coal Mining Complaints
Oklahoma Department of Mines
Wagoner Field Office
1102 W. Cherokee, Suite D
Wagoner, OK 74467-9154
For Mineral Mining or Non-Mining Blasting Complaints
Oklahoma Department of MInes
Non-Coal (Mineral) Division
2915 North Classen, Suite 213
Oklahoma City, OK 73106
In the case of an imminent threat to the health and safety of the public or imminent environmental harm, please call (405) 427-3859.