Urban Search and Rescue (US&R)
There are two (2) Urban Search and Rescue (US&R) Units within the state. These units have similar training and equipment to the FEMA regional US&R teams, including high level rescue capabilities. Each unit includes a 42-foot trailer and tow vehicle. The equipment cache is based on the FEMA US&R requirements. Both teams have additional equipment including three quad-cab, four-wheel drive, one-ton trucks, a bobcat with attachments and a 27-foot enclosed trailer to transport the bobcat and any additional equipment. Each unit cost approximately $1,700,000 to build and equip.
- Heavy structural collapse
- High angle rescue
- Confines space rescue
- Trench rescue
- Canine search for trapped victims
- The US&R team consists of 125 members from 33 agencies in and around Oklahoma City and Tulsa metropolitan areas.
- All team members are trained to the NFPA 1670 Structural Collapse Technician level.
- All team members are IFSAC-certified to the NFPA 472 Hazardous Materials Operations level.
- Teams receive specialized training in Medical Specialist, Technical Information Specialist, Structure Specialist, Heavy Equipment and Rigging Specialist, Technical Search Specialist, Canine Search Specialist, Logistic Specialist and Communications Specialist.
Last Update: January 2019