North American Rodeo Medicine Referral System
An online referral database of health care providers in the U.S. and Canada who are interested in offering their services to treat injured rodeo athletes has been constructed because access to health care for those competing in the sport of rodeo can be challenging.
Challenges for Injured Rodeo Athletes
- The extreme physical nature of the sport increases likelihood of serious injury.
- An injured professional rodeo athlete who is unable to compete may also be unable to earn a livelihood causing many rodeo athletes to forgo needed medical care.
- Competitors frequently travel to rodeos which may be hundreds of miles apart in less than a week.
- Many of the acute and chronic injuries commonly suffered by rodeo athletes are unique to the sport and require the care of a specialist.
- Inability to find specialty providers who are willing to continue care at the next stop in the tour or after the return home.
About Referral System Providers
- Medical professionals can contact interested colleagues in cities along the competition circuit.
- The referral database can facilitate quick access, consistent care, and a faster road to recovery.
- Inclusion in the database is not a guarantee the health care provider will accept the patient, but does indicate the provider is willing to be contacted by another health care provider concerning an injured rodeo athlete on short notice.
- Participating health care providers currently include doctors, chiropractors, physical therapists, and athletic trainers.
Download Directory (rich text format)
If you are a health care provider and would like your practice to be listed on this site, follow this link to submit information about your practice.
Link to Providers by State or Province
Links to web sites that focus on rodeo medicine.