Signs and Symptoms of a Drug Overdose
- Won't awaken when aroused
- Bluish purple skin tones for lighter skinned people and grayish or ashen tones for darker skinned people
- Slow, shallow, erratic, or absent breathing
- Loud snoring
- Gurgling or choking sounds
- Elevated body temperature
- Irrational behavior or confusion
*Signs and symptoms of an overdose may differ depending upon the type of drug consumed.
- Allow the victim to "sleep it off."
- Put the victim in a bath or shower.
- Leave the victim alone.
- Treat the victim with home remedies - they do not work and often delay potentially life-saving medical treatment.
- Delay calling 911 to clean up the scene.
Injury Prevention Service
Oklahoma State Department of Health
1000 N.E. 10th Street - Map to OSDH
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73117
Telephone: (405) 271-3430
Fax: (405) 271-2799