You are invited to register online for a Tar Wars presentation. You or the presenter of your choice can present Tar Wars in your classroom. If you don’t have a presenter, the Oklahoma State Department of Health will make an attempt to find one (presenter participation is not guaranteed as the presenters are volunteers). Your presenter will contact you to arrange the date and time of the presentation(s).
- Tar Wars is offered to 4th and/or 5th grade students thanks to a collaborative effort between the Oklahoma Academy of Family Physicians and the Oklahoma State Department of Health.
- Tar Wars is an innovative way to teach Health and Safety Priority Academic Student Skills (PASS) to students.
A Tar Wars presentation will equip students to better understand PASS tested subjects such as:
- addiction (Standard 2) and (Standard 1)
- harmful effects of nicotine on the human body (Standard 2) and (Standard 1)
- identification and practice of good personal health habits (Standard 3) and (Standard 6)
- examining safe and unsafe behaviors (Standard 3) and (Standard 6)
- identifying ways in which media and culture influence thoughts, feelings, choices and health behaviors (Standard 4).
A local health care professional presents the interactive lesson in one classroom period. A follow up poster contest reinforces the Tar Wars message by encouraging students to creatively capture what they learned in the classroom.
By March 31st, send your winning poster to:
|Susan M. Hindrichs
Fifty Penn Place
1900 NW Expressway, Suite 501
Oklahoma City, OK 73118
About the Poster Contest: www.tarwars.org/poster.xml
Poster Contest Guidelines: www.tarwars.org/x875.xml
Print the hardcopy form, complete and fax to (405) 271-9053, or mail to:
Oklahoma State Department of Health
Tobacco Use Prevention Service - Tar Wars
1000 NE 10th Street
Oklahoma City, OK 73117-1299