Food service inspections are just one of the many services provided by the Environmental Health Division. To access the database of restaurant inspections, click here.
More information is available regarding our rules and regulations, opening a new establishment, and public bathing facilities. You may also be interested in some of our frequently asked questions.
We are located in the Norman office of the Cleveland County Health Department. You can reach us by calling the main number at (405) 321-4048.
The Environmental Health Division provides many services for the county, including:
- Eating and drinking establishments
- Retail food (e.g. grocery stores)
- Hotels, motels, bed and breakfasts
- Food service in schools, day cares, and institutions
- Public bathing facilities (e.g. spas and swimming pools)
Performing investigations and consultations on:
- Health related complaints
- Possible foodborne disease
- Potential rabies exposure
Providing technical services:
- Instruct Food Handlers class
- Administer food safety test
- Extensive plan review of food establishments before construction
FOOD HANDLER CLASSES
Tuesday at 9:00 am & Thursday at 3:30 pm
- Registration begins 30 minutes prior to the start of class
- Picture I.D required for registration
- Classes start promptly on time with no exception
- No one will be admitted after the class has started
- There is a $5 fee for the class and food handler card
- Duplicate cards will only be issued Monday-Thursday 8am to 11am, 1pm to 4pm.
Class consists of a video, power point presentation, discussion, and written test.
A passing grade of 76% is required in order to receive a card.
Successful applicants’ cards will be distributed at end of testing.
1st Wednesday of the month at 9:00 am
3rd Wednesday of the month at 3:30 pm
|NORMAN (ENGLISH) AFTER HOURS
2nd Tuesday of the month at 6:00pm
cash or check only – no late admittance
||Wednesday at 3:30 pm
The cities of Norman and Moore require food handler cards for anyone handling food:
Sec.13-807. Food handling: Work permits required
No person shall work, or permit any other person to work in a bakery, cafe, meat market, restaurant, or other place where food is handled or served, whether for compensation or not, unless that person possesses a current and unrevoked permit from the health officer. (Ord. No 0-7475-8)
SECTION 8-604 FOOD HANDLER'S PERMITS
A. It is unlawful for any person who operates a food service establishment or any place selling open and prepared foods in the city to hire, or permit to be hired, or permit to work gratis, any person who does not possess a current and unrevoked permit approved by the health officer.
B. It is unlawful for any person to work in any food service establishment or any place selling open and prepared foods in the city who does not have in his or her possession a current and unrevoked permit approved by the county.