||Contact | A-Z Health Index | Events & Meetings|
Oklahoma SoonerStart Early Intervention builds upon and provides supports and resources to assist family members and caregivers to enhance children’s learning and development through everyday learning opportunities.
8 Key Principles:
1. Early Intervention services for children and families are most effective when agencies and organizations work together to provide services based on family needs.
2. Infants and toddlers learn best through everyday experiences and interactions with familiar people in familiar contexts.
3. All families, with the necessary supports and resources, can enhance their children’s and family’s learning and development.
4. The primary role of the service provider in early intervention is to work with and support family members and caregivers in children’s lives.
5. The early intervention process, from initial contacts through transition, must be dynamic and individualized to reflect the child’s and family’s preferences, learning styles and cultural beliefs.
6. IFSP outcomes must be functional and based on children’s and families’ needs and family identified priorities.
7. The family’s priorities, needs and interests are addressed most appropriately by a primary provider who represents and receives team and community support.
8. Interventions with young children and family members must be based on explicit principles, validated practices, best available research, and relevant laws and regulations.
Note… #2 through #8 were adopted from “The Workgroup on Principles and Practices in Natural Environments” (OSEP TA Community of Practice—Part C Settings)
SoonerStart services are provided by qualified personnel: such as child development specialists, nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists, registered dieticians, social workers, special education teachers, speech and language pathologists, and others. For more information about current employment opportunities within SoonerStart, please call (405) 271-8333.
For more information about the program as well as the contact information for SoonerStart sites statewide, go to the Oklahoma State Department of Education website;
Copyright © State of Oklahoma