In general, the physician's duties are to:
- Be familiar with State regulations on death certifications without medical attendance or involving external causes that may require the physician to report the case to the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. (63 OS 938)
- Complete the relevant portions of the death certificate.
- Deliver the signed death certificate to the funeral director promptly so that the funeral director can file it with the State registrar within the three (3) days prescribed by State law.
- Assist the State Registrar by answering any questions promptly.
- Deliver a supplemental report of cause-of-death to the Oklahoma Vital Records Division when autopsy findings or further information reveals the cause of death to be different from what was originally reported.