- For the Consumer
- License Verification
- Board Info
- Rules and Statutes
- Forms & Renewals
- For the Licensee
OKLAHOMA FUNERAL BOARD
4545 N. Lincoln Blvd, Suite 175
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
NOTES OF REGULAR MEETING
MEETING PLACE: Oklahoma State Capitol
2300 North Lincoln Blvd. Room 412C
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73105
DATE & TIME: 10AM August 9, 2012
ORDER OF BUSINESS: The Board may discuss, vote to approve, vote to disapprove, vote to table, change the sequence of any agenda item, or decide not to discuss any item on the agenda.
1. Roll Call - Dugger, Longanacre, Parks, Phenix, Pickard, Temple, and Walding were present.
2. Approval of minutes of the July 12, 2012 Board meeting - Approved
3. Approval to amend the April 12, 2012 Board minutes to include the transcript of the Rules hearing from April 12, 2012. - Approved
4. Matters requiring Administrative Hearing
A. Discussion and possible action on Administrative hearing concerning Complaint 12-23, Board v. Brown-Christian Funeral Home, Inc., Chickasha, a licensed Funeral Service Establishment, and Ricky Brown, the Funeral Director In Charge for alleged Violations of 59 O.S. §§ 396.12c. (3), (12), (13) and OAC 235:10-7-2 (14).
B. Vote on possible executive session pursuant to 25 O.S. Supp 1998, Subsection 307 (B) (8) to engage in deliberations or rendering a final or intermediate decision in an individual proceeding pursuant to Article II of the Administrative Procedures Act regarding Brown-Christian Funeral Home, Inc., Chickasha, a licensed Funeral Service Establishment, and Ricky Brown, the Funeral Director In Charge for alleged Violations of 59 O.S. §§ 396.12c. (3), (12), (13) and OAC 235:10-7-2 (14).
C. Possible action to be taken as a result of the executive session regarding Brown-Christian Funeral Home, Inc., Chickasha, a licensed Funeral Service Establishment, and Ricky Brown, the Funeral Director In Charge for alleged Violations of 59 O.S. §§ 396.12c. (3), (12), (13) and OAC 235:10-7-2 (14). - Board found Brown-Christian Funeral Home, Inc. Chickasha, and Ricky Brown, in violation of not filing a death certificate in a timely manner. An administrative penalty of $1,250 per license and both license are to be suspended until the fine is paid and the death certificate is filed. Further that Brown-Christian Funeral Home, Inc. Chickasha, and Ricky Brown be given a deadline of September 13, 2012 to file the correct death certificate in this case. If he files a completed death certificate by that date, the total fine will be reduced to a penalty of $250.00 per license for costs.
5. Vote to affirm or disaffirm the issuance of the following licenses, registrations, certificates, dissolution or other action
A. Apprenticeship (original) - All Approved
1. Jeremiah Perkins, Ray & Martha’s, Hobart
2. Kyle Matthews, Matthews Funeral and Cremation Service, Edmond
3. Truman Alford, Edmond, Vondel L. Smith & Son FH, OKC
B. Apprenticeship (1st extension) - All Approved
1. Grant Mowery, Owasso, Mowery Funeral Service, Owasso (UCO)
2. William Jenkins, Henryetta, Rogers FH, Henryetta (Amarillo)
C. Funeral Director/Embalmer (original) - Approved
1. Sheri Francis, Fayetteville, AR
D. Establishments - All Approved
1. Southwest Mortuary Service, Oklahoma City, requests change of FDIC from Juanita Herrera to Johnnie Swanson.
2. Checotah Funeral & Cremation Service, Checotah, change FDIC from Joseph Faulkner to Carter Bradley
6. Review complaints with possible vote for probable cause or other action
13-02 Right to control disposition dispute - Dismissed
13-03 Condition of remains - Dismissed
7. Discussion and possible action on Board member and Staff attendance at the District 7 meeting of the International Conference of Funeral Service Examining boards to be held September 28, 2012. - Because of budget concerns, the Board will not be sending Staff or Board members to attend.
8. Discussion and possible action on Board Member Attendance Policy - Approved
9. Discussion and possible action on Board Member Outside Meeting/Discussion Policy. - Approved
10. Discussion and possible action on naming a committee of funeral directors and embalmers to study the needs of Oklahoma Funeral Service and report back at a future date. Shawn Cummings of Enid, Ben Gallo of Guthrie, Zack McMinn of Grove, and Todd Martin of Sallisaw were appointed to this committee and directed to report back to the Board in the near future.
11. OFDA Report - OFDA has submitted Joe Highberger and Brent Shain to the Governor’s office for the Oklahoma Funeral Board appointment.
12. Legal Update - No Update
13. New Business - No new business
14. Deputy Director’s Report - Chris Ferguson reported that staff has recently met with the Oklahoma Insurance Department concerning upcoming issues in the industry; also that he has contacted OFDA President Bill Marshall and has offered some assistance and encouragement into changing the out-of-state permit requirement from the Health Department. Regarding the ME office, the increased legislative appropriations has been received and the office has ordered new morgue equipment for the Tulsa and OKC offices. Also, the office is in the process of hiring 3 new pathologist and field investigators for rural parts of Oklahoma.
15. Executive Director’s Report - Mark Riley reported the Board’s monthly finances. He reported that during the month of July, there was an $20,990.08 deficit created by receiving only $2,695.90 in revenue with $23,685.98 in expenses. For the year, the deficit currently stands at $20,990.08. Also, that staff met with the Oklahoma Health Department and has been advised that all funeral homes are expected to be on ROVER by Oct. 1, 2012 and after that date they will only accept death certificates initiated via the ROVER system.
16. Adjournment - 11:26 A.M.