Applying for a Motorcycle License (Between the Age of 14 and 16)
To apply for a Motorcycle license between the age of 14 and 16, you must appear before a Driver License Examiner, present the required documentation and take a vision and the basic law written exam. You will have to present a completion certificate showing you have completed a basic riders course approved by the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety. Under the age of 16, you have to hold a learner permit for a minimum of 30 days. The Learner Permit will allow you to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle:
Click here to see a list of Approved Motorcycle Schools
- With a piston displacement not to exceed three hundred (300) cubic centimeters;
- Between the hours of 4:30 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. only;
- While wearing approved protective headgear; and
- While accompanied by and receiving instruction from any person who is at least twenty-one (21) years of age and who is properly licensed pursuant to the laws of this state to operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle, and who has visual contact with the restricted license.
- Per Title 47 11-805 No person shall operate any motorcycle at a speed greater than the legally posted speed limit; provided, in no event nor at any time shall an operator under the age of sixteen (16) years drive a motorcycle on a highway which has a minimum speed limit established and posted.
- Per Title 47 11-805 No person shall operate any motor-driven cycle at a speed greater than the legally posted speed limit; provided, in no event nor at any time shall any operator drive a motor-driven cycle at a speed greater than thirty-five (35) miles per hour.
The restricted licensee may apply on or after thirty (30) days from date of issuance of the restricted class D license with a motorcycle-only restriction to have the restriction of being accompanied by a licensed driver removed by successfully completing the driving portion of an examination. If the licensee presents a completion card showing that the applicant has completed the Motorcycle Safety Foundation Course, the road test and written test will be waived.