Transfer a Learner Permit from Another State (Between the Age of 16 and 18)
Applicant must appear before a Driver License Examiner. The examiner will process the applicant and arrange for time to be credited towards the 6 month learners permit requirement. Without Oklahoma Driver Education if the permit was issued before their 16th birthday, they will receive credit from their 16th birthday. With Oklahoma Driver Education if the permit was issued before their 16th birthday, they will receive credit from the issue date. If the out-of-state permit was issued after their 16th birthday, they will receive credit from the permit issue date. The examiner will issue a form that is taken to a tag agency where they will pay the fee and get the permit printed.
The applicant must bring in the following:
- Primary ID — usually a state-certified birth certificate. For a complete list of acceptable primary identification documents, click here.
- Secondary ID — usually a Social Security card. For a complete list of acceptable secondary identification documents, click here.
- Applicant will bring the Out of State License.
- Applicant must provide Social Security Number.
- If you are under 18 years of age, you must bring documentation showing you meet the current enrollment or attendance requirements in a secondary or vocational technical school and that you have successfully passed the criterion - referenced reading test required for all eighth grade students (usually referred to as the school letter). If you cannot obtain a letter from an Oklahoma school, click here for a list of alternate documents.
- If you are under the age of 18 you must have a Parent or Legal Guardian present.
- Present the Out-of-State Learner Permit.
- Applicant must bring in any documents showing a legal name change: Such as Marriage, Adoption, Divorce etc: These documents should connect all of the last names from the birth certificate to the current last name. Read more »