- How does the Oklahoma Mandatory Point System work?
- Points are assessed to the driving record of persons convicted of certain violation of the law, generally traffic violations. When your point total on your driving record reaches ten (10) or more points within a five (5) year period your license is suspended.
- How do I clear a Points Suspension?
- You must serve the suspension period and pay the statutory fee for reinstatement. In most cases, payment of the fee may be done by mail or in person by yourself or another representing you. In some cases the person is required to meet with a Driver Compliance Hearing Officer to apply for reinstatement.
- How long is a point suspension?
- For a first point suspension, the suspension time shall be for one (1) month. For a second point suspension, the suspension time shall be for three (3) months. For a third point suspension, the suspension time shall be for six (6) months. For a fourth and subsequent point suspension, the suspension time shall be for twelve (12) months.
- What is a Driver Improvement or Defensive Driving Course? Can successful completions of one of these courses aid in the Reduction of Points from my driving record?
- These are 6 hour schools designed to assist the problem driver in correcting bad driving habits. Two (2) points shall be credited to a person's driving record upon successful completion of an approved Driver Improvement/Defensive Driving Course. However, the two (2) point credit (reduction) will only be given one (1) time in a 24 month period.
- Are there other ways to obtain a Reduction of Points from my driving record?
- Yes, if a driver goes twelve (12) consecutive months without being convicted of any pointable violation, two (2) points are credited (removed) for the accumulated points on their driving record. If a driver goes three (3) consecutive years without being convicted of any pointable violation, the point level on their driving record is reduced to zero.
- What is a Motor Vehicle Accident Prevention Course?
- A Motor Vehicle Accident Prevention Course is conducted by organizations and companies to educate their employees on defensive driving and safe driving techniques. Completion of these courses DO NOT qualify for point reduction on your Oklahoma driving record. However, you may want to contact your insurance provider to see if you are eligible for a reduction of your insurance premium by completing this course.
Last Modified on 08/01/2016