WOW - Wonder of Wetlands
Project WET also offers a guide to hands-on wetland education entitled WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands.
A comprehensive guide for anyone teaching about wetlands, this 330-page publication features 70 pages of background material in six chapters followed by more than 40 cross-referenced activities. Select a wetland artifact from a grab bag and learn the many functions of wetlands. Create a persimmon pudding and appreciate the incredible food sources of a wetland environment. Use crayons to design a wetland soils chart. Developed for educators of K-12 students (and beyond!), activities are organized into five sections covering wetland definitions, wetland plants and animals, water quality and supply issues, soils, and wetlands and people.
- 70 pages of background material on wetlands
- More than 40 hands-on, interdisciplinary activities tested by educators and young people
- All activities have been correlated to Oklahoma education standards
- 19 sidebars highlighting wetland issues
- Planning guide for designing wetland units
- An activity format with clear headings detailing grade level, subject areas, student skills, vocabulary, objectives and assessment, materials, background, procedure, activity extensions and resources
- Special appendix on planning and developing a schoolyard wetland habitat
- Glossary and resource list
- Maps, photographs, and fun illustrations
- 76 Student Copy Pages
- Instructions for creating simple and economic wetlands sampling equipment
- Conduct activities within your classroom or on a wetland field trip
- Sponsor a WOW! workshop at your school, museum, state or national park, or nature center
- Conduct activities during natural resource field days
- Plan a wetlands festival
- Use as a wetland field guide resource
- How to Get "WOW"ed
You can get the WOW! the Wonders of Wetlands curriculum guide by participating in a workshop conducted by a trained facilitator. Cost for the workshop is $20.00 per person. Workshop participants also receive additional wetlands materials such as posters and student booklets.
To learn more about WOW! The Wonders of Wetlands, or to schedule a workshop, contact the Oklahoma Conservation Commission at 405-521-6788, or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.