- Active Clients
- Retired Clients
- About Us
I receive my retirement checks at home. What should I do if my check does not arrive?
You may contact TRS and make sure your address is correct. If it isn't, TRS can send you an affidavit to complete. Note: The form MUST be completed with your notarized signature. Once the affidavit/form is returned, TRS will cancel the original check and issue a duplicate to replace the original. A duplicate check cannot be issued until at least 10 days after the first of the month.
IMPORTANT: Because of the length of time it takes to issue a duplicate check, there will be a delay in receipt of your monthly retirement check. You may wish to consider direct deposit of your retirement benefit, which provides for electronic transfer of your monthly benefit. This means your check is automatically deposited into your bank account on the first business day of the month. Direct deposits eliminate the need to worry about your check being stolen or delayed in any way. It is safe, convenient and on time.
My check was late because it went to another city before arriving. What can be done?
- Make sure the address including the zip code is correct.
- Make a copy of the check and return the copy with the envelope to TRS and we can notify the postal service or Presort First Class Co. for an inquiry. Don't forget to send the original envelope.My check has two different date stamps. Why?
Generally, when a check or any piece of mail is returned to TRS by the Presort First Class Co., it is for one of following reasons:The postal service returns mail for the following reasons:
- New Address - These are returned to give TRS the opportunity to obtain the member's new address from the National Change of Address (NCOA) directory in order to mail a change of address notification.
- Incomplete Address - This shouldn't be a problem on retirement checks. However, if a staff member has addressed the envelope using a typewriter, there is a possibility for human error.
- Short Paid (Postage Due) - This shouldn't be an issue on a retirement check.
When do direct deposits go to the bank?
- Bad address
- Forwarding order has expired
- No forwarding address on file
Direct deposits are credited to your account on the first working day of each month. Please note: It is your responsibility to inform TRS of all address changes that affect retirement checks. These changes must be in our office by the 10th of the month to take effect by the next check.