If I am licensed in another State, how do I become licensed in Oklahoma?
Applicants for an Oklahoma license by reciprocity must meet the following requirements:
- Meet work experience/education requirements (Subchapters 5-9 in the Rules);
- Architects may hold a National Council of Architectural Registration Boards' (NCARB) certificate or; Landscape Architects may hold a Council of Landscape Architectural Registration Boards' (CLARB) certificate or;
- You may apply directly to the Oklahoma Board by completing the application for architect registration, submitting it to the Board office along with verification of your education, grades from when you tested, work experience for evaluation and approval.
- All applicants are required to take and pass the open book exam on Oklahoma's Law and Rules. Additionally, landscape architects must take and pass the Oklahoma Plant Materials Exam. Both exams are open book and submit proof of U.S. citizenship.
How do I register my architectural firm in Oklahoma?
Oklahoma law and rules require architectural firms to be registered in this State by applying for a Certificate of Authority with this board in addition to filing a separate application with the Office of the Secretary of State. Architect of Record for the firm must have a current Oklahoma license. (Subchapter 13 in the Rules) All Certificate of Authorities expire on the same date at the end of each renewal period.
How do I renew my license?
All licenses, Individual and Firms (Certificate of Authority) are renewed biennially and expire on the same date at the end of each renewal period.. Your license will expire on June 30th of each odd-numbered year. Renewal notices will be mailed approximately 6 weeks prior to expiration to the address on file with the Board office. If your address changes, you should notify the Board office. If you do not receive a renewal notice in the mail by May 15th of the expiration year, you should contact the Board office. Failure to receive a renewal notice in the mail does not relieve the licensee of the responsibility for timely renewal of his license.
Am I required to complete continuing education in order to renew my license?
Yes, the law and rules require continuing education. All are required to submit 24 hours, all of which must be "hsw" (health, safety, welfare) every 2-year renewal period. All licensees are subject to a random audit each renewal period. (Subchapter 17 in the Rules)
If I allow my license to expire, what should I do?
Contact the Board Office at (405) 949-2383.
What requirements must be met to qualify to take the Architect Registration Examination (A.R.E.)?
Applicants for the A.R.E. must meet the following requirements as described in 55:10-5 of the Rules of the Board:
- Meet education requirements: Professional degree from a NAAB accredited program
- Start an IDP File with NCARB and have NCARB submit a summary sheet to the Board
- Fill out an Oklahoma ARE candidate application and submit it to the Board
- Must have final board approval
*Or meet equivalent standards. See Rules 55:10-5-4.1
Please refer to the ACT and RULES for details concerning the education, work experience and AXP requirements.
What requirements must be met to qualify to take the Landscape Architect Registration Examination (L.A.R.E.)?
Applicants for the L.A.R.E. must meet the following requirements as described in 55:10-5 of the Rules of the Board:
- Meet education requirements: Professional degree from a LAAB accredited program
- Meet 3-year work experience requirements
- Must have final board approval
*Or meet equivalent standards. See Rules 55:10-5-4.2
Please refer to the ACT and RULES for details concerning the education and work experience requirements.
How do I obtain my license after I pass all parts of the examination?
The Board office receives a copy of your grades at the same time they are mailed to you. When we have verified that you have passed all parts of the examination, we will mail you a letter stating that you have passed all sections of the exam and that you may now become licensed once you have submitted the license fee and passed the state Act and Rules exam.
What is the Board's mailing address?
All correspondence should be mailed to:
Oklahoma Board of Architects, P.O. Box 53430, Oklahoma City, OK 73152
Overnight mail: 220 NE 28th Street, Ste #150, Oklahoma City, OK 73105