The Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE), Special Education Services (SES) has been awarded a five-year grant by the U.S. Department of Education. The 2011 Oklahoma State Personnel Development Grant (OK SPDG II), which will run from November 2011 until October 2016, is used to assist the OSDE in reforming and improving systems for professional development in order to improve results for children with disabilities.
2011 Oklahoma State Personnel Development Grant (OK SPDG II)
Major Areas of OK SPDG II
The OK SPDG II will focus on improving academic and social outcomes for students with disabilities through:
Providing professional development and support to teachers and schools to implement Oklahoma Tiered Intervention System of Support (OTISS), which is Oklahoma's blended model of academic and behavioral intervention systems, including effective Early Literacy and Common Core State Standards instruction, and
Providing training to parents to increase their knowledge of OTISS.
Goals and Activities of OK SPDG II
Goal I: Improve academic and social outcomes for students with disabilities through supporting schools to adopt and implement multi-tiered systems of academic and behavioral support.
- Scale-up 30 sites currently implementing either Response to Intervention (RtI) or Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) to adopt Oklahoma's blended model of academic and behavioral support, OTISS.
- Provide training for current PBIS and RtI sites that need to complete the full cycle of trainings.
- Establish Training in Response to Assessment and Intervention Needs (TRAIN), a leveled framework of professional development/coaching for OTISS.
- Collaborate with OSDE staff on Early Literacy and Common Core State Standards Instruction initatives to support the needs of students with disabilities.
Goal 2: Improve academic and social outcomes for students with disabilities through increasing parent awareness and knowledge of multi-tiered systems of academic and behavioral support
- Provide training and support to parents to increase their knowledge of OTISS.
SPDG Contact Information:
Karie Crews-St.Yves, Tiered Intervention Specialist, Christa Knight, SPDG Project Director, and LaDonna Shirley, Administrative Assistant. For more information about OTISS, please contact LaDonna Shirley by telephone at (405) 522-1461. Ms. Shirley will be able to direct you to the person with whom you should speak.