The mission of the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council is to facilitate consumer education and empowerment, to assure services are of high quality, and lead to employment of individuals with disabilities in the State of Oklahoma.
Because of the Council's efforts...
- The Council is a significant resource for and partner with the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services.
- Council members advocate assertively and knowledgeably on behalf of people with disabilities.
- Council members take a leadership role to partner with many other organizations to benefit those with disabilities.
The Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council (ORC) was established in 1993 as mandated by the 1992 Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act. The ORC was originally established as the State Rehabilitation Advisory Council (SRAC) to advise the designated state agency regarding its performance in providing vocational rehabilitation services to individuals with disabilities. The passage of the 1998 Amendments to the Rehabilitation Act changed the Council's name to the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council.
Functions of the Council:
- Review, analyze, and advise the Oklahoma Department of Rehabilitation Services regarding performance of its responsibilities.
- In partnership with the Department of Rehabiliation Services, develop, agree to, and review state goals and priorities and evaluate the effectiveness of the VR/VS program.
- Advise the Department of Rehabilitation Services regarding activities authorized to be carried out and assist in the preparation of the State plan and amendments to the plan, applications, reports, needs assessments, and evaluations.
- Conduct a review and analysis of the effectiveness of vocational rehabilitation/visual services and consumer satisfaction.
- Prepare and submit an Annual Report to the Governor and the Commissioner of RSA on the status of vocational rehabilitation programs operated within the state.
- Coordinate the work of the Council with the activities of other disability-related councils.
- Establish working relationships between the Department of Rehabilitation Services; the Statewide Independent Living Council, and Centers for Independent Living within Oklahoma.
View ORC events calendar