Oklahoma, www.OK.gov
Oklahoma Rehabilitation Council - Home
spacer image
Skip Nav Skip to Search
FAQs  |  Contact  |  ORC Calendar
spacer image
 
get adobe reader
email icon Email   |   print icon Print  

ORC Council Committee Reports

February 17, 2010 

November 18, 2010

May 19, 2011

August 25, 2011

Executive Committee Report  February 17, 2010

Glenda Farnum, Chair

Members of the executive team met with the Division Administrators on January 24th.  Mark stated that the agency is ahead of last year’s numbers for successful closures.  Jane will be retiring at the end of April to spend more time with her husband.  Phase III of the CNA will focus on vendors.  We again will be contracting with Dr. More to conduct the CNA.  ORC will be partnering with DRS to develop questions.

We discussed assistive technology issues.  Mark indicated that Teri Williams, field coordinator responsible for VR specialty programs is currently looking at ways to improve accountability and timeliness of programs.    

Theresa, Linda and I met with Mike O’Brien on January 27th.  Brenda Fitzgerald has been selected by the 121 Projects to replace John Ringlero on the ORC.  We discussed our plans for Phase 3 of the CNA.  Mike expressed that he is glad this process is continuing.  Mike asked that we work with Teri Williams on assistive technology issues.      

Policy & Legislative Committee Report

Tim Parrish, Committee Chair

  1. Met Jan. 5th and got a great start on planning our second Advocacy Conference.  Many decision were made about the goal of the event.  Once that was agreed upon, planning began.  It will be in Tulsa, but a hotel has not been picked yet.   
  2. The public hearings for proposed policy changes were held the first week of Feb.  Only two were held, Lawton was cancelled due to pending weather.  The Re-Engineering Committee will begin soon on FY2012 changes.  ORC made comments at each public hearing and are in today’s packet. 

Program and Planning Committee

Milissa Gofourth, Committee Chair

The P&P Committee met on January 13, 2011.  Discussions centered on the pending activities of the Strategic Plan for the Committee.  It was determined the Committee will talk to the Division Administrators as to whether ORC, in conjunction with DRS, should conduct a webinar on quality customer service.  The Committee decided it was too costly to produce a video on providing consumers information on how to write their own IPE.  Therefore, a PowerPoint slide presentation with voice and video clips may be more feasible.  Melinda is coordinating the DRS State Plan for FY12; she has created a timeline for all of the activities that must be completed in time for the public hearings scheduled in May.  Theresa Hamrick is participating in many of the preliminary meetings with various staff.  The Committee discussed the status of curriculum and evaluation of the visual service train the trainer contractors with Jane Nelson to determine what the current baseline of information each consumer receives.  Based on that discussion the Committee will determine our next steps, which VS staff person Jane believes we should work with on this activity.  Lastly, it was determined we would ask the Director to begin the process to sole source the third phase of the Comprehensive Needs Assessment with Dr. Corey Moore.  The Committee believes it would be beneficial to conduct a full analysis of the comparison of information provided from individuals that had closed cases, (phase one) and those that had open cases, (phase two) in addition to surveying agency vendors.      

Transition and Employment Committee

Nancy Garner, Committee Chair

  1. The T&E Committee created a sub-committee to work on a flow chart to assist parents with the transition process throughout the school years.  We hope this will be distributed among parent groups and other interested consumer groups. 
  2. The Oklahoma Transition Council will have a Team Check and connect follow Up Meeting, Friday, Feb. 25, 2011.  They will review the team plan.  DRS is hosting a Project Search Summit June 2, 2011 at Metro Tech if you are interested in having a site in your community. The Next OK Transition Institute is Sept. 14-16, 2011

Program Manager Report

Theresa Hamrick, Program Manager

  1. I have started working with Melinda Fruendt, Cheryl Gray and Belinda Williams (the Strategic Planning Team) in the development of the agencies 5 yr Strategic Plan.  It is the goal to blend this with the state plan activities.  They are setting up teams for VR and VS to have input from field staff. 
  2. I attended the OK Economic Outlook hosted by OSU Spears School of Business.  It was an interesting conference looking at the economic outlook of OK.  There was some discussion on what jobs will remain viable through this economic down turn.  OK is not hit as hard as other parts of the country due to our energy resources.     
  3. The Wicked Innovations Next Generation Solutions (WINGS) team has been meeting. We are currently working on the training that will be provided to a DRS unit for improved customer service to clients.  Our overall goal is to change the customer service of the agency.
  4. I have been attending Workforce Investment Board meetings across the state with Melinda Fruendt.  These boards were created to get agencies at the table with employers in the community.  In some areas it is working better than others.  I was surprised by the various levels these boards exist.
  5. I was invited to attend the VR/VS Leadership meeting in December.  It is great to attend these to listen to the challenged the agency face and the brain storming that leadership does to address the problems.  I am grateful to Jane and Mark for allowing me to attend.  One of the problems is the vacant case loads and the amount of work this puts on the others.   
  6. Christmas Holiday Vacation Dec. 23-Jan.2nd.
  7. Melissa and I met with Rod Van Stavern to create an AT report for the P&P committee.  We should have a report at the May, 2011 meeting.
  8. The National Coalition of State Rehabilitation Councils (NCSRC) is just getting started planning the April, 2011 training.  We have been having discussion with CSAVR about their sponsorship of our one day meeting by covering the meeting expenses.  We are not sure how much longer this will continue. 
  9. ORC is a member ORA (OK Rehabilitation Association).  I am on the planning committee for the annual conference.  I have attended several meeting with the planning committee.  We are looking at June, 2011 in OKC. 
  10. The Public Hearing for Lawton was cancelled due to pending weather.  Both OKC and Tulsa hearings were held. 
  11. These next few months will be focused on tasks to complete committee activities, State Plan activities with DRS, Public Hearings for State Plan, preparing for the ORC Strategic Planning meeting and attending NCSRC and CSAVR. 
  12. Website – as always visit our website.
  13. I will continue to send out information regarding activities, programs, or events that may be of possible interest to those you serve. 

Regular Meetings Attended:

  • DRS Commission Meetings (Marilyn attended in January)
  • OK Transition Council
  • SILC Meetings
  • ORC Meetings with Division Administrators and Director
  • ORC Committee Meetings
  • Projects for Optimal Emergency Medical Services for Seniors (POEMSS) Committee Meetings
  • ABLE Tech Advisory Council
  • Governor’s Council on Workforce and Economic Development
  • Aging and Disability Resource Consortium (ADRC)
  • NCSRC conference calls for Steering Committee and Full Consortium


Executive Committee Report November 18, 2010

Glenda Farnum, Chair; Milissa Gofourth, Past Chair

  1. Glenda Farnum, Milissa Gofourth, Theresa Hamrick and Linda Jaco met with Director O'Brien on October7, 2010. Director O'Brien discussed the personnel changes for the agency's top administrative position; Mark Kinnison is the new Division Administrator for Vocational Rehabilitation.  Interviews were completed for two field coordinator positions in VR.  There will be a search for an additional field coordinator position in VS.  In addition, Director O'Brien will be hiring a Chief of Staff in the next few months to replace David Couch, who has resigned.  The completion of Phase II of the Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA) was discussed; Dr. Moore will provide an overview report during the November 18 quarterly ORC meeting.  At this time it appears that Priority Group 3 will be continue to remain open through FY11 unless the agency has to take a large cut in state revenue, which in turn will impact the amount of federal match the state can receive.  The ORC will visit with the Division Administrators in the next quarter to discuss a mechanism for the field coordinators to report on the progress of the FY11 State Plan as part of the ORC Strategic Plan.  Lastly, Director O'Brien explained he has an overall concern with the assistive technology delivery system of the agency.  Therefore, in the next few months he will be working with the administrators and field coordinators on solutions. 
  2. Glenda participated as a member of the interview committee for the field coordinators positions on September 27-28, 2010. 
  3. Glenda attended the DRS Commission meeting held at the School for the Deaf on October 11, 2010 and presented the ORC report.
  4. Glenda attended the Policy and Legislative Committee meeting on November 1, 2010 and the Planning and Program Committee meeting on November 2, 2010.

Policy & Legislative Committee Report

Glenda Farnum

  1. The ORC hosted the first advocacy conference on September 10, 2010.  The budget report and evaluation summary is attached.  It was a well received event and created interest for a future event.  Much of this committee’s work throughout the year was focused on preparation for this event. 
  2. During this quarter the P&L Committee met on November 1, 2010 to begin working on the FY11 strategic plan goals and on-going activities for which this committee is responsible. 
  3. Re-Engineering Committee: A small group from the Re-Engineering Committee has separately met with each DRS Commissioner to review the massive policy changes that are being proposed.  The Commissioners expressed their appreciation for ORC’s time and effort to meet with them and answer their questions on issues they feel are important.  This may be something the committee will choose to continue in the future. The P&L Committee will be writing the ORC statement for the Public Hearings that will take place in February 2011.

Program and Planning Committee

Marilyn Burr

  1. During this quarter the P&P Committee met on November 2, 2010 to begin working on the FY11 strategic plan goals and on-going activities for which this committee is responsible.  The committee discussed many AT related issues.  The committee believes it is important for counselors to have and give information on various types of AT, not just one brand, manufacturer, or type of technology.  Providing technology information to consumers and counselors is a challenge; the ORC may provide additional links on the resource page of their website.  Marilyn explained there is a proposed policy change that will allow counselors to purchase needed computers for clients that do not need any specialized technology without waiting on an assistive technology evaluation.  This should provide the AT Specialist more time to concentrate on other clients that do need AT.  Additionally, as part of the strategic plan, the committee will need to work closely with the Division Administrators and Associate member  toward the goal of establishing an evaluation mechanism for the AT Trainers, which are providing computer software training to clients that are visually impaired.  Theresa discussed the annual report; she will provide a draft to the Executive Committee to review and edit prior to sending it out to the full membership for a vote on November 18, 2010 during the quarterly ORC meeting. 
  2. Comprehensive Needs Assessment – DRS and the ORC are on target with the next phase of the CNA, which is being presented to the ORC at the November 18, 2010 quarterly meeting.  In FY11 vendors and service providers will be surveyed. 
  3. ORC was invited to a statewide meeting of all the Counselors and Program Managers on October 20, 2010 in Norman.  Theresa presented the ORC “Keeping Track and Informed Choice” tools. 

Transition and Employment Committee

Nancy Garner

  1. The T&E Committee created a sub-committee to work on a flow chart to assist parents with the transition process throughout the school years.  We hope this will be distributed among parent groups and other interested consumer groups. 
  2. The Oklahoma Transition Institute was held September 14-16, 2010 at OU in Norman.  It was very successful.  ORC staff also contributed by working at the event.

Program Manager Report

Theresa Hamrick, Program Manager

  1. 4.  The Candidate Forum held on August 28, 2010 was a success.  Eighteen candidates attended from all political parties and addressed the audience in a time limited forum that included a question and answer period.  There were almost 100 people in attendance.
  2. 5.  Advocacy Conference:  Copy of Evaluation Summary in the packet.  Two hundred were registered and 180 in attendance.  Twenty-six vendors participated (24 displays and 2 ads) for an income of $8,940.00.  The conference cost was $22,597.25.  Expense report attached.   
  3. 6.  The Wicked Innovations Next Generation Solutions (WINGS) team has been meeting. We are currently working on the training that will be provided to a DRS unit for improved customer service to clients.  Our overall goal is to change the customer service of the agency; we are doing this one unit at a time.
  4. I attended the 2nd Annual Turning Point Policy Day at ECU.  This training is a grassroots effort for policy exchange.  I participated to gather ideas for ORC.  This year the focus points were Obesity & Education/Prevention, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Issues.     
  5. I attended the National AgrAbility Conference in West Virginia in October 2010 It was a very informative conference and I was able to network with several DRS Field Coordinators about AgrAbility cases.
  6. I presented to the Spinal Cord Injury Association on October 19, 2010 on the Projects for Optimal Emergency Medical Services for Seniors (POEMSS) Emergency Medical Services MedFiles and the Catastrophic planning packets.  The group many questions regarding health proxy and recent law changes pertinent to advanced directives.
  7. The National Coalition of State Rehabilitation Councils (NCSRC) has been very busy planning the training event for our bi-annual meeting in San Diego in November.  Lynnae Rutledge, RSA Commissioner, is scheduled to attend this all day event. Because of her support, NCSRC has had two key states sign the resolution of membership, Florida and California Based on ORC’s involvement during the RSA monitoring in Oklahoma, I have been asked to participate on a panel to share this information.

The NCSRC was asked and agreed to write a letter of support for The University of Wisconsin at Madison and Stout that applied for a new Rehabilitation Research and Training Center through National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research (NIDRR).  They were awarded the grant which will focus on research pertaining to Effective VR Services Delivery Practices.  They will be partnering with Michigan State University, University of Texas-El Paso, Southern University, Virginia Commonwealth University, and Council of State Administrators of VR (CSAVR). 

  1. I attended the Mayor’s Committee on Disabilities Concerns Awards Luncheon where two DRS groups were presented awards.  Dana Tallon for Public Personnel Employee Award and Hope Crumley’s unit won the Media Public Service Award for creating a video showing the DRS Rights and Responsibilities Handbook in American Sign Language.  I also attended as a board member of NeuroResources; they were presented an award for their lending closet outreach project.
  2. Melinda Fruendt and I attended another Workforce Investment Board (WIB) meeting in Durant, OK on October 28, 2010.  It was held at the Big Lot Distribution Center where we took a tour to determine if these types of jobs would be feasible for DRS clients.  The Governor’s Council on Workforce Economic Development and the OK Employment Security Commission created an on-line training course for Orientation to the Workforce Investment Board members. 
  3. I attended the Oklahoma Rehabilitation Association (ORA) yearly conference held in conjunction with the National Rehabilitation Counselor Association in Oklahoma City.  I was presented with the Distinguished Merit Service Award from ORA.  ORC has been fortunate to partner with ORA on several events.
  4. DRS Changes:  David Couch has resigned DRS.  Mark Kinnison has been selected as the VR Division Administrator.  Bill Hayes and Terri Williams have been selected as the VR Field Coordinators. 
  5. ORC activities before next ORC quarterly meeting:  I have been invited to attend the Management Services Division awards luncheon.  I have been invited to the DRS Division Administrators leadership meeting in December.  ORC is pleased that we are continually invited to interagency events. 
  6. Website – ORC contracts with Brenda Dawes, ABLE Tech, AT Specialist and Marketing Coordinator, to maintain the ORC website.

Regular Meetings Attended:

  1. DRS Commission Meetings
  2. OK Transition Council
  3. SILC Meetings
  4. ORC Meetings with Division Administrators and Director
  5. ORC Committee Meetings
  6. Projects for Optimal Emergency Medical Services for Seniors (POEMSS) Committee Meetings
  7. ABLE Tech Advisory Council
  8. Governor’s Council on Workforce and Economic Development
  9. Aging and Disability Resource Consortium (ADRC)
  10. NCSRC conference calls for Steering Committee and Full Consortium

 

Executive Committee Report May 19, 2011

Glenda Farnum, Chair

1.  The Executive Committee met on April 7th following our Strategic Planning Meeting.  We reviewed notes from the committees and made plans to complete the Strategic Plan for submission.  We also reviewed the current strategic plan.  Most items will be completed as planned.  Some goals and objectives will be moved forward to next year’s plan.  Phase 3 of the CNA was also discussed.    

2.   Milissa, Theresa and I attended NCSRC and CSAVR in April.  Part of our time was spent visiting Congressional offices with DRS staff, Mark Kinnison, Jean Jones and Mike O’Brien.

3.   The committee met with Mark Kinnison on May 2nd to discuss current VR activities.  Topics discussed included the Customer Satisfaction Surveys, the Phase 3 CNA question development and assistive technology training.

4.   The Executive Committee also met on May 2nd to discuss our upcoming meeting, State Plan Comments and Public Hearings and Phase 3 of the CNA.

5.   Terry Birgance from Region VI TACE will attend our August meeting to report on TACE activities with Oklahoma DRS.           

Policy & Legislative Committee Report

Tim Parrish, Committee Chair

  1. Several of the committee participated in the People with Disabilities Awareness Day at the Capitol on April 5th as volunteers as legislative leaders or assistants.  ORC had a booth at the event as well.  More than 555 people were in attendance.   
  2. Met April 7th to write the FY 2012 Strategic Plan.  Reviewed the current strategic plan with the committee and we are on target for the conference in September.    

Program and Planning Committee

Milissa Gofourth, Committee Chair

Glenda, Theresa and I met with several staff of DRS on March 24, 2011.  The purpose of the meeting was to seek input on how to proceed with Phase III of the Statewide Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA).  Phase III of the CNA was initially planned to survey vendors and/or community rehabilitation programs.  It was determined that it would be important to step back from the very tight time frame that was originally planned and allow enough time to ensure a quality survey instrument to  provide the agency with information that would hopefully help them do business better in the future.  Therefore, it was determined to set out a series of meetings to establish how to meet that goal.  Milissa convened a meeting of the P&P Committee on March 25th via conference call to seek their approval in cooperation with DRS to re-establish a time frame that would not have a completed report until August 2012.  Everyone agreed the quality of the survey instrument and who should be included in the target sample was paramount to the initiative.  There have subsequently been two additional meetings (April 22nd and May 9th) with DRS staff to review survey instruments utilized by other states.

The P&P Committee met on April 7th to review the progress of current objectives and tasks of the FY11 Strategic Plan.  During the review it was determined some of the objectives would not be met in this fiscal year; the committee agreed to move forward with those objectives in the next strategic plan.  It was discussed that the strategic plan indicated we would seek consumer satisfaction survey results quarterly.  The ORC has not received any reports this year.  Jane Nelson thought the report will only come out annually.  It was decided I would need to confirm how often the consumer satisfaction report could be generated for the Committee review.  The majority of the Committee time was spent developing and refining the objectives and task for the FY12 ORC Strategic Plan.

Transition and Employment Committee

Nancy Garner, Committee Chair

1.   The T&E Committee met on April 7th to write the FY2012 strategic plan.  Many of the goals for FY2011 will take more time so those were move to the FY2012 year to be completed.  The transition folder was discussed and we are waiting for proof from graphic artist.  Bids have are being requested from 3 vendors.   

2.      DRS is hosting a Project Search Summit June 2, 2011 at Metro Tech if you are interested in having a site in your community. The Next OK Transition Institute is Sept. 14-16, 2011

Program Manager Report

Theresa Hamrick, Program Manager

  1. Work on the DRS VR/VS Strategic Plans has moved forward and portions of those plans will be in the DRS State Plan for FY 2012.  Goals have been identified and measurements are being discussed.    
  2. The Wicked Innovations Next Generation Solutions (WINGS) team has been meeting. Our customer services projected is rolling out slower than expected.  We have had some barriers in our way.  Our overall goal is to change the customer service of the agency.  Our 4th meeting is May 31-June 3rd in Stillwater. 
  3. I have been attending Workforce Investment Board meetings across the state with Melinda Fruendt.  These boards were created to get agencies at the table with employers in the community.  In some areas it is working better than others. 
  4. Mark Kinnison, VR Administrator/VS Acting Administrator has invited me to the Program Manager meetings on a regular basis.  These are helpful meetings to the ORC as we hear the frustrations from the field which could be possible areas we could partner on projects. 
  5. I have talked with Rod Van Stavern regarding the creation of our AT report for the P&P committee.  He has been busy and not able to create this report for us.  Per his request, Milissa and I may have to meet with him again to discuss what we were asking for. 
  6. The National Coalition of State Rehabilitation Councils (NCSRC) has our April, 2011 meeting.  It did not go as planned but was a great meeting and the TEAM legislation was discussed.  Jean Jones was in attendance from Oklahoma and was great assistance in that discuss with her extensive knowledge of legislation.  It was exciting for the OK group to have her there.  We also had Mark Kinnison, Karen Dunn and Hope Crumley from the DRS Agency in attendance.  They stated they enjoyed the meeting as well.  We will start planning the Fall meeting soon.  As committee chairs, you get to attend these meetings to see what is happening nationally.
  7. NCSRC will be discussing at the fall meeting the requirement of registration fee for our meetings. CSAVR can no longer fund our meetings and we must come up with our own funding source.  So expect, ORC to have to pay an additional registration fee in the future for NCSRC. 
  8. ORC is a member ORA (OK Rehabilitation Association).  I am on the planning committee for the annual conference.  I have attended several meeting with the planning committee.  The conference will be held July 20-22, 2011 at the Embassy Suites in Norman. 
  9. The Public Hearing for the state plan were May 17-18-19th.  The OKC meeting will be held at 4:00 pm today after the ORC meeting.  Please stay if you can.  
  10. 0.  I attend the National Rehabilitation Association Legislative Summit.  It was a great meeting.  The primary discussion was current legislation.  The TEAM legislation was discussed.  Having been to this meeting I was better informed for the NCSRC meeting when we discussed legislative issues and for out Capitol Hill visits in April.  This meeting was worth the time and expense. Although, DRS staff went, I felt ORC had a different take on some of the issues that I would not have gotten had I not attended. 
  11. 1.  These next few months will be focused on the completion of the strategic planning tasks.  Committee’s may have to meet more than once per quarter to get their activities completed. 
  12. 2.  Website – as always visit our website.
  13. 3.  I will continue to send out information regarding activities, programs, or events that may be of possible interest to those you serve. 

Regular Meetings Attended:

  • DRS Commission Meetings
  • OK Transition Council
  • SILC Meetings
  • ORC Meetings with Division Administrators and Director
  • ORC Committee Meetings
  • Projects for Optimal Emergency Medical Services for Seniors (POEMSS) Committee Meetings
  • ABLE Tech Advisory Council
  • Governor’s Council on Workforce and Economic Development
  • Aging and Disability Resource Consortium (ADRC) (missed the last few as they conflict with other ORC meetings)
  • NCSRC conference calls for Steering Committee and Full Consortium


Executive Committee Report August 25, 2011

Glenda Farnum, Chair

1.  I participated as a member of the interview team for the VS Administrator position.  We interviewed a number of qualified applicants.  I appreciate Director O’Brien including ORC in this process.    

2.   The executive committee voted to fund registration and expenses for Tammie Jones and Sue Williams to attend the ORA conference in July.

3.   Due to a scheduling conflict Terry Brigance has postponed meeting with the ORC until our November meeting.

4.   Members of the executive committee have met with their committees to work on the goals of our strategic plan.  Members of the executive committee have also attended meetings regarding phase 3 of the CNA and the reengineering committee.         

Policy & Legislative Committee Report

Tim Parrish, Committee Chair

  1. Met June 28th to work on the Advocacy Conference.  Rick Barcus with the Development Disabilities Council, attended to assist us with the application to the DDC for funds to co-sponsor this event.  An application was submitted.  It was declined as our target audience was too broad to meet their mission.     

Program and Planning Committee

Milissa Gofourth, Committee Chair

Glenda, Theresa and I met with several staff of DRS on May 23, 201, June 9, 2011 and July 26th.  These meetings were to review Statewide Comprehensive Needs Assessment (CNA) Phase III survey instrument designed and discuss methodology of the study.  Phase III of the CNA will survey vendors and/or community rehabilitation programs. As much as possible information was reviewed and approved by emails. This project has taken a considerable amount of time for the P&P committee.    

The P&P Committee met on June 28th to review the progress of current objectives and tasks of the FY11 Strategic Plan.  During the review it was determined some of the objectives would not be met in this fiscal year; the committee agreed to move forward with those objectives in the next strategic plan.  The committee discussed the multimedia goal and the amount of time and commitment this activity require. Some initial information will be gathered to include all the components needed to develop an IPE.  The next Committee meeting is scheduled August 25th, following the ORC meeting

Transition and Employment Committee

Nancy Garner, Committee Chair

1.   The T&E Committee met on July 15th to do a final revision on the Transition Folder.  It is the teams hope to have this completed and ready to have available at the OTI in the fall.  Bids have are being requested from 3 vendors.  It was agreed we would print on cardstock rather than a vinyl folder.  All numbers and website address for this folder will be checked and double checked before printing to make sure there have been no changes. 

Nominating Committee Report

Sabrina Ware and Sue Williams

Slate of Officers:

Planning & Program Evaluation Committee    Marilyn Burr, Chair – Tammie Jones, Co-Chair

Policy & Legislative Committee    Tim Parrish, Chair – Hailey Mathis, Co-Chair

Transition & Employment Committee    Jacki Millspaugh, Chair – Kim Osmani, Co-Chair

Chair – Glenda

Vice Chair – Connie Lake

Program Manager Report

Theresa Hamrick, Program Manager

  1. At the August 8th DRS Commission Meeting Director O’Brien stated he would be closing priority group 3 effective Aug. 15th.  However, they will review the waiting list every 60-90 days to determine if they can serve these clients.  Case load size and an increase in applications created the need for the closure.  Money is a factor but was not the primary factor for this closing.  They can serve on any given day 17,500 to 19,000 in active status.  At this time they are running 18,000 active cases.  Many caseload sizes are running close to 200 and the average size is preferred to be around 135.  Having caseloads larger than the average creates a hardship to provide effective and efficient services to consumers.  There are still several counselor positions that are vacant and no applicants to fill these positions.  The Director has asked for a Return on Investment report to be completed this year.  Dr. Michael Jones has been names as the new VS Division Administrator. 
  2. Attend DRS Program Manager meeting held in July in Sulphur.  Discussion of areas to keep updated on such as medical expenses, dental expenses.  They are now above educational expenses.  All efforts need to be made to utilize all comparable benefits available.  It was stated that they could expect priority group 3 to be closed soon due to case load size. Program Managers need to make sure staff are closing unused authorizations or remaining balances.  This is allocated money that will not be spent and affects budget forecasts.   Rod Van Stavern demonstrated all the report in Tableau that can help PMs with managing their information.  He also discussed some trends in spending.  The supported employment unit, HRD unit provided updates.  Alisa Estes updated them on AgrAbility efforts and the Business Enterprise Program gave an update. 
  3. We are continuing work on the DRS VR/VS Strategic Plans.     
  4. The Wicked Innovations Next Generation Solutions (WINGS) team has been meeting. This team is ready to get the Director’s approval and implement the pilot.  Our overall goal is to change the customer service of the agency.  We have worked with the unit who are experts on survey’s to create data to create measurable objectives.   
  5. I have talked with Rod Van Stavern regarding the creation of our AT report for the P&P committee.  He has been busy and not able to create this report for us.  Per his request, Milissa and I may have to meet with him again to discuss what we were asking for. 
  6. The National Coalition of State Rehabilitation Councils (NCSRC) is planning our Oct. 2011 meeting.  We will be discussing the requirement of registration fee for our meetings. CSAVR can no longer fund our meetings and we must come up with our own funding source. 
  7. ORC is a member ORA (OK Rehabilitation Association).  I chaired the conference planning team this year.  It was held July 20-22, 2011 at the Embassy Suites in Norman.  Several ORC members attended.  We had 150 people attending with 17 vendors.  It was an outstanding event. 
  8. The statewide comprehensive needs assessment is in final draft stages and will be mailed out early September, 2011. 
  9. Met with the Policy Development and Program Standards Unit to get the two ORC Keeping Track and Information Choice questions added to the Consumer Satiation Survey.  Specific questions were added to measure if these tools are having an affect on client services. 
  10. I co-presented with Marlene Malloy, Michigan SRC Staff Person, at the Consortium of Native American VR Conference in Green Bay, WI in June.  Our topic was How to Partner with Your SRC.  It was a break out session and we received positive feedback. 
  11. We had the Virgil Taylor Golf Tournament June 17th at Roman Nose State Park.  It was very hot.  We raised $2,775.00 for the scholarship at ECU.  We had fewer teams this year due to the heat, but raised $300+ more dollars than last year. 
  12. Volunteers at the Extreme Youth Summit in Durant, OK held by the Choctaw that had almost 2,000 kids to hear speakers. 
  13. Presented at the DRS New Employee Academy.  I include promotion of the consumer success stories as well as the Keeping Track and Informed Choice Tools.
  14. Attended OSU Purchasing Card training.  
  15. Attended a presentation at OSU where a Rancher form Australia came to the states and is looking at accessibility on farms and other programs to assist him on their ranch. 
  16. Website – as always visit our website.
  17. I will continue to send out information regarding activities, programs, or events that may be of possible interest to those you serve. 

Regular Meetings Attended:

  • DRS Commission Meetings
  • OK Transition Council
  • SILC Meetings
  • ORC Meetings with Division Administrators and Director
  • ORC Committee Meetings
  • Projects for Optimal Emergency Medical Services for Seniors (POEMSS) Committee Meetings
  • ABLE Tech Advisory Council
  • Governor’s Council on Workforce and Economic Development
  • Aging and Disability Resource Consortium (ADRC) (missed the last few as they conflict with other ORC meetings)
  • NCSRC conference calls for Steering Committee and Full Consortium
  1. Information reported by Superintendent Barresi at the Governor’s Council for Workforce & Economic Development  (I did not catch the source of information)

    2009    74% of 2nd graders were below proficiency levels

                75% of 8th graders were below proficiency levels

    2010    45% of 4th graders could not pass the reading test

                45% of 4th graders were on a free or reduced price lunch

    OK State Regents for Higher Education: 

    2009    43# of 1st time freshmen were not ready for college level work.

    The number of individuals taking the ACT test has risen, but the scores are still the same.

    Superintendent Barresi wants a New Paradigm of the 3R’s

    Re-Think – based on proficiency not hours in the classroom.

    Re Form – The power to fire a teacher will go back to the school boards. 

    Re-Structure – 3 Core Principles

    1. Work ready/college ready mean the same thing. 
    2. Literacy
    3. Stem Initiative in Science and Math

    Social promotion to the next grade will end at 3rd grade.