ROOFING MANAGER, F71
Positions in this job family are assigned responsibilities involving the supervision, direction and/or inspection of a roof maintenance and evaluation program for state-owned properties, including new construction and the renovation or repair of existing facilities.
- Researches, reviews, evaluates, designs and prepares cost estimates, plans and specifications for roofing projects on new and existing state-owned facilities; reviews projects submitted by consultants and agencies on roofing projects and approves, advises or makes design changes as appropriate; designs plans and specifications for other state and county agencies.
- Determines the need for roofing maintenance, repair or renovation of state-owned properties through the use of infrared thermograph scans, video scans, field notes and other nondescriptive testing procedures.
- Conducts or participates in prejob, preconstruction meetings with contractors, architects and facility managers to discuss specific job requirements and approve or disapprove design changes.
- Serves as project manager on jobs designed in-house, makes daily inspections and prepares required records and reports; reviews inspections performed by Architect Engineer Consultants and agency inspectors to ensure plans and specifications are being followed; serves as liaison between contractor and facility manager.
- Overviews and assists field inspectors on final inspections of all construction projects to ensure specifications are met; maintains contact and communication with other agency inspectors and architectural consultants to improve field utilization of department resources and increase overall product knowledge and technical competence.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of consulting infrared thermographers, makes field inspections of projects, advises construction inspectors, contractors and others and interprets plans and specifications.
- Evaluates and processes complaints by agency managers on roofing problems, investigates the causes, submits reports assigning responsibility, if any and recommends the best method of effecting repairs.
- Attends seminars and technical schools to keep up-to-date on changes in the roofing industry and maintains a research library and files on roofing methods and materials available.
Level I: Code: F71A Salary Band: L
The Roofing Manager job family consists of only one level and incumbent employees are responsible for performing all functions related to the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required at this level include knowledge of supervisory principles and practices; of the principles and practices of the roofing industry; of architectural engineering, materials engineering and building construction methods; of the preparation of cost estimates, designs, specifications and plans; of the principles and methods of surveying and inspecting sites preparatory to planning and designing repairs or modifications; and of the principles of structural engineering and infrared thermography as it relates to the roofing industry. Ability is required to review, analyze, design and prepare plans and specifications; to plan and supervise the work of others; to provide consultant and advisory services to public officials; to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others; and to prepare clear and concise reports and recommendations on proposed construction or repair projects.
Education and Experience requirements at this level consist of a bachelor's degree in architecture, architectural engineering, civil engineering or a closely related field and four years of experience in the built-up roofing industry or construction inspection, including one year in an administrative or supervisory capacity; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.