Following is a sampling of Oklahoma ghost towns which may offer suitable locations for producers. Oklahoma has more than 2,000 ghost towns. In some cases, communities still have a small population.
Community surrounding Sacred Heart Mission; two-story log structure, rock buildings, a church, and store buildings remain; a few residences are occupied.
Rural agricultural trade center; a feed mill, windmill, and some residences remain.
Early mining town, boom years 1913-1919; stores and residences (some occupied) still remain.
Located at foot of Kiamichi Mountains and adjacent to Kiamichi River; important milling and shipping center of the Choctaw Nation during the 1880s; restored 1883 Choctaw Capitol Building remains, as do churches, schools, and several residences.
Buildings remain on main street; population of approximately 100.
Active trading center, peak 1915; retail structures and residences still stand; all roads leading to Centralia are either gravel or graded dirt roads; approximately 100 residents.
Established in 1824 by Western Cherokees; school building and residences remain; located in an isolated, forested area of Boston Mountains.
Railroad and cow town; peak years 1910-1930; some buildings remain, as well as a grain elevator that is still in use; approximately 25 people in residence.
Established 1902 as a rail center; store buildings including a lumberyard, church, and residences (some occupied) remain.
Established in 1920; a school building, grain elevator, post office, and some residences remain.
Established in 1902; population never topped 50; a grain elevator, post office, and residences remain.
South Central Oklahoma
Gene Autry (previously Berwyn)
Picturesque setting on southern flank of Arbuckle Mountains to the north and west, with rolling hills to the south and Washita River Valley to the east; many buildings remain, some businesses are open; several residences (many occupied) still stand; current population of approximately 100.
Turn-of-the-century agricultural trade center; current population is approximately 100; some stores remain open.
Agricultural community; a water tower, retail buildings, and grain elevator still stand.
Farming and ranching community; buildings, including a church and school, still stand; occupied by fewer than 100 residents.
Typical 1902 frontier town on the Great Plains; farming and ranching community; many buildings remain, including two churches, a cobblestone bank building, school gymnasium, and several small retail establishments; current population is approximately 19.
Roger Mills County
Trade center for farmers and ranchers; houses, two churches, a post office, and school remain.
Rural trading center, oil boomtown; a post office, church, and residences (some occupied) still remain; population of approximately 150.
Former railroad stop; some business buildings remain; current population of approximately 125.
Adjacent to Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge; mining town at turn-of-the-century; Meers Store, still in operation, some retail structures, and several residences (most occupied) still remain.
Roger Mills Country
A water tower, residences, church, and post office remain; current population of less than 50.