Reducing Medicare/Medicaid Fraud, Abuse and Waste by Increasing Public Awareness Through Community Education.
Welcome to Oklahoma SMP. Here we believe in the power of one. The power that one person has to help stop Medicare mispayments.
To learn more about fraud, SMP, and the Medicare Fraud Strike Force, check out www.stopmedicarefraud.gov.
80% of those scammed are 65 years old or older.
The United States General Accounting Office estimates that $1 out of every $7 spent on Medicare is paid inappropriately due to error, fraud, or abuse. It is estimated that $60 billion is lost each year, nationwide, to Medicare Fraud
Since the inception of SMP in 1997 through December 2012, $112 million has been saved for Medicare, Medicaid and other healthcare payors, due to the efforts of the SMP program. For more information from the most recent OIG Report, dated July 2013, click here.
From this Web site you can report your Medicare billing concerns, request information or a speaker, learn how to prevent scams and read how others have saved Oklahomans millions of dollars.
There are so many schemes used to steal from you and Medicare. However, no scheme can succeed unless the fraudulent biller has your Medicare number. Just click on the links to the above, or browse the three ways to prevent Medicare billing fraud by clicking below.
Detecting and preventing Medicare waste, fraud and abuse can be as easy as 1, 2, 3.
- Always check your Medicare statements.
- Check for overcharges
- Check for services not received
- Check to ensure another person has not used your Medicare card
Read Your Medicare Summary
- Discrepancies with your Medicare billings, services and claims
- Call the company or doctor first to question the change and ask them to correct it with Medicare
- If you suspect fraud when someone offers or gives you free services or equipment
Report Incorrect Billing