In 1926, the development of Nicoma Park as a poultry colony began. At the end of 1928 there were 96 residences developed, complete with poultry production facilities. The community and poultry industry flourished for several years, and the activity in and around Nicoma Park was like a whirlwind. The Nicoma Park Cooperative building was built to process, package and ship the eggs as far east as New York and west to California. Several feed stores did a thriving business as the industry continued growing and the area around the town began to develop.
In the 1930’s the poultry industry met a disaster as a California wholesaler shipped a truck load of diseased chickens to the community and seemingly overnight, the disease had spread throughout the town, destroying the poultry industry and crushing the hopes and dreams of the colonists. The industry never recovered as the colonists had put their life’s savings into their business and the Great Depression had not dissipated enough to allow them a quick recovery.
The Town began to flourish again in the 1940’s as construction of Tinker Air Force Base began, providing employment for hundreds of residents. Chicken houses were remodeled into apartments to make up for the lack of housing. Two of these “chicken house” apartments are still in use today. A large number of the 96 original homes are still around town and several chicken houses are still in use as storage units, garages or other uses.
In 1960, work began on the Westminster Shopping Center (the first shopping center in Eastern Oklahoma County). When the shopping center opened it housed the world’s largest Western Auto Store along with C.R. Anthony, TG&Y, Westminster Drug and Red Bud Food Store.
In 1959, the community was incorporated as the Town of Nicoma Park, with Verle Davidson elected as the first Chairman of the Trustees. The Town was later chartered as the City of Nicoma Park with a Strong Mayor/Council form of government.
Nicoma Park affords its residents the comfort of country living with big city conveniences nearby. Hospitals, health care, employment, shopping malls, colleges, museums, cultural entertainment, professional sports, rodeos, and other sites and activities to suit one’s palate are only minutes away.
Visit our quaint little community, drive down the narrow, tree-lined lanes and you will see why “WE’VE GOT SOMETHING TO CROW ABOUT.”
A mural of the Nicoma Park Community House, a social center for the community in 1928.
(Mural painted by Ralph Goslin and is located in City Hall.)