The Oklahoma Department of Mines Coal Division is dedicated to protecting the environment of the State of Oklahoma, to protecting the health and safety of the miner and to protecting the life, health, and property of citizens who are affected by mining or mining activities through the enforcement of state mining and reclamation laws. The Coal Division accomplishes this by enforcing the administrative law found in Oklahoma Administrative Code 460 (OAC).
Coal Division Personnel
The Oklahoma Department of Mines Coal Division consists of four basic subdivisions: Technical Services, Permitting, Inspection & Enforcement, and Assessment. Technical Services and Permitting are located in Oklahoma City. Inspection & Enforcement personnel are located in field offices in Wagoner, McAlester,and Poteau.
The Coal Division is dedicated to protecting the environment and the citizens of the State of Oklahoma. This goal is accomplished by:
- Reviewing permit, revision, field amendments applications for completeness and technical adequacy.
- Ensuring that adequate bond to complete reclamation is posted by the permittee.
- Conducting complete and partial inspections on coal permits as required by state and federal rules and regulations and the specific requirements of the approved permit such that non-compliance items are identified and appropriate abatement measures implemented.
- Conducting annual and mid-term permit reviews in compliance with statutes and regulations.
- Conducting bond release inspections in compliance with statutes and regulations.
- Conducting citizen complaint inspections in compliance with statutes and regulations.
- Gathering evidence and testifying at hearings as required by statutes and regulations.
- Conducting Student Outreach Programs at local area schools to provide students and teachers of Oklahoma with a better understanding of the mining process in Oklahoma
- Receiving on-going training and information concerning current technical advances and trends in mining, safety, and reclamation.
Last Modified on 02/21/2012