OFFICE OF GOVERNOR MARY FALLIN
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – November 30, 2011
Federal Assistance Denied in Wake of Earthquakes
Oklahoma City – Governor Mary Fallin said today she is disappointed and frustrated that the White House has denied Oklahoma’s request for individual assistance for those hit hard by a series of earthquakes earlier this month.
The Governor said the state is considering all options for next steps, including a potential request for U.S. Small Business Administration assistance for homeowners and business owners. SBA is the first step in disaster assistance when individual assistance is declared.
On November 22, Gov. Fallin requested individual assistance for those impacted by the earthquakes that began November 5th.
“This historic earthquake activity affected so many in Lincoln and Pottawatomie counties,” said Gov. Fallin. “With nearly 200 confirmed homes and businesses damaged and more damage being reported to local emergency management offices daily, individual assistance is justified.”
“After receiving five presidential disaster declarations in one year, including snow storms, tornadoes and flooding events, Oklahomans and the voluntary agencies that are often called upon to assist them have been pushed to the limits. We felt the case for additional assistance had been made.”
Additionally, as earthquakes of this magnitude have been uncommon in Oklahoma until recently, most residents did not have earthquake insurance to cover the damages and those who did have insurance are now faced with such high deductibles it will still be a struggle to recover from damage caused by the quakes.
For additional information contact Michelann Ooten, Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management, at (405) 205-1879 cell.