Make It Your Business
Strategies for a tobacco-free workplace
- Use your company’s health plan to help employees quit tobacco use.
Businesses with a tobacco cessation benefit reduce total tobacco consumption, increase number of smokers willing to undergo treatment, increase productivity and the percentage of those who successfully quit.
- Adopt and maintain tobacco-free workplace policies.
Promoting and supporting a tobacco-free workplace is more than just good business sense -- it's a noble cause. Not only do tobacco-free policies send the message that you care about your employees' health and safety, you will also lower your business costs, increase productivity and morale, reduce absenteeism and protect your business from possible liability.
To get started:
- Inform employees in advance of the new policy and the start date.
- Let tobacco users know you appreciate their efforts to comply.
- Offer to pay for tobacco cessation programs for employees and covered dependents or refer them to the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline for free cessation coaching.
- Include cessation treatment as a covered health benefit.
- Support and promote the Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline
Help employees begin their life-saving journey by placing 1-800-QUIT NOW posters throughout your facility, post a Helpline link on your company Intranet, or include statement stuffers with paychecks
To order QUIT-NOW workplace posters:
Oklahoma State Department of Health
Shipping and Receiving
Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline (English) Poster: P870
Oklahoma Tobacco Helpline (Spanish) Poster P870-S