FOR RELEASE: January 11, 2007
CONTACT: Pamela Williams
Office of Communications
New 12-part DVD Parenting Series Available at Public Libraries
The Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH), in coordination with the Oklahoma Public Library system, is offering a new resource on good parenting tips as part of the “I Am Your Child” DVD series.
The 12th DVD is being added this month to the 12-part series and is called Food and Fitness Matter: Raising Healthy, Active Kids! The program is hosted by actress Julia Louise-Dreyfus and provides practical advice for parents and caregivers.
The Institute of Medicine states that today there are twice as many preschoolers and three times as many children ages 6-11 who are obese as there were 25 years ago. The main reasons given are poor diets and a lack of physical activity. Less than 25 percent of children get at least 30 minutes of physical activity per day.
The Food and Fitness Matter: Raising Healthy, Active Kids DVD gives practical tips about ways to keep kids fit and healthy. It suggests some of the following:
- Start discussions in schools and communities to set policies that support ways to improve children’s nutrition and wellness.
- Support mothers in breastfeeding their infants.
- Make sure children eat a healthy breakfast before school.
- Limit the intake of juices and sodas to reduce sugar intake for children.
- Choose a family game or physical activity instead of watching television or playing video games.
- Ask schools to offer more nutritious food selections in school vending machines and cafeterias.
- Ask schools to offer more physical education classes and/or recess.
The new addition to the series, created by the Parents Action for Children Foundation, is being funded through the OSDH Women, Infants and Children Service (WIC).
“If we can give parents and caregivers more information about better options for food and play, we can make Oklahoma’s children healthier,” said the OSDH Grant Coordinator Sherie Trice. “Resources such as the ‘I Am Your Child’ series are just one avenue to help educate parents and child caregivers regarding a positive way to raise children.”
All 12 parts of the “I Am Your Child” DVD series are available through your local public library. The DVD series includes such topics as “Preparing for Parenthood,” “Quality Child Care: Making the Right Choice For You and Your Child,” “Safe from the Start,” “The First Years Last Forever,” “To Be A Father,” “A Child With Special Needs,” and “Discipline: Teaching Limits With Love.”
For more information about the DVD series, contact your local library. For information about parenting tips and other child development information, contact Sherie Trice, OSDH Family Support and Prevention Service, at 405-271-7611 or e-mail email@example.com.