FOR RELEASE: April 13, 2004
CONTACT: Pamela Williams
Office of Communications
Celebrate: Week of the Young Child, April 18-24
The Early Childhood Association of Oklahoma (ECAO) and the Oklahoma State Department of Health (OSDH) want to encourage families to make time more available in their busy schedules to spend with their children. This is especially important for very young children because they learn a lot by example.
To celebrate the Week of the Young Child, April 18 - 24, the ECAO suggests some of the following activities:
- Sunday: Kick-off the celebration by preparing and eating a meal together. Take a family photo and visit an elderly relative.
- Monday: Share a Book Day - share a book with a child. Reading to children remains the best way to enhance their literacy skills. Check out the children’s activities at the library.
- Tuesday: Health & Fitness Day - take a walk, a bike ride or play ball. Talk about the importance of health, nutrition, and fitness.
- Wednesday: Visit a park day - visit your favorite park and play games with your children. Look, listen and count the different types of trees, birds and animals in the park. Have a picnic.
- Thursday: Safety Day - teach your child bicycle safety. Call Oklahoma SAFE KIDS Coalition, 405-271-5695 for locations of free car seat safety checks. Discuss and practice a fire drill and visit a local fire station.
- Friday: Family Day - spend time playing games and having fun together. Look through your child’s photos and share your favorite memories.
- Saturday: Family Fun Fair Day - organize or visit a festival to get information about the services available to help young children and their families stay healthy and happy. ECAO is an affiliate of the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC) and has 10 local chapters throughout the state of Oklahoma.
Some of the activities planned by the ECAO are:
- April 17, 2004 - Tulsa Family Fun Fair -- The Tulsa Family Fun Fair will be held on April 17, 2004, from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m. at the Tulsa Fair Grounds, Kids Building.
- April 20, 2004 - Stillwater Protect Our Youngest Children Day -- Community agencies, such as the fire and police departments, will visit childcare facilities to talk about safety.
- April 21, 2004 - Washington County Fun Fair -- The Fun Fair will be held from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. The event is sponsored by many state and county agencies, local businesses and community service organizations.
- April 22, 2004 - Oklahoma SAFE KIDS Coalition -- Visit the free car seat safety check at Babies R Us, Belle Isle Station, Oklahoma City from 3 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- April 24, 2004 - Oklahoma City Family Fun Fair -- The Family Fun Fair will be held from 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. at Metro Tech Spring Lake Campus, sponsored by ECAO.
- May 7, 2004 - Provider Appreciation Day -- Find ways to recognize child care providers, teachers, and educators of young children everywhere to honor the tireless efforts of providers who care for children of working parents.
For more information about early childhood development, contact the county health department in your area. For information about Week of the Young Child activities contact the ECAO office at 866-813-3226 or Peggy Byerly at OSDH, 405-271-4471.