FOR RELEASE: May 15, 2003
CONTACT: Pamela Williams
Office of Communications
Media Advisory -- Reminder
Schedule of Events for National Emergency Medical Services Week
What: National Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Week, a celebration to honor EMS providers nationwide who provide lifesaving emergency care. This year's theme - When It Matters Most - emphasizes the commitment and dedication of the 750,000 national EMS providers who serve our country. Oklahoma has more than 6,200 emergency medical technicians (EMTs) and about 200 licensed ambulance services and 150 certified first response agencies that provide timely and attentive interventions that save lives every day. These professionals have certainly provided valuable assistance following the violent storms that hit Oklahoma in recent days.
When: May 18-24, 2003
Where: Please note these activities scheduled to observe EMS Week:
- Saturday, May 17 - EMS & Rescue Fest, Oklahoma State University (OSU)/OKC
This all-day, kick-off event will be held at OSU/OKC’s Precision Driving Training Center, 3401 W. Reno, Oklahoma City, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. There will be a wide variety of rescue demonstrations from services across the state, competitions for Mega-Codes, and other medical-rescue procedures, as well as children’s activities - including a bike safety fair and a car seat inspection, a grant-writing seminar, and much more.
- Sunday, May 18 - EMS Day at Bricktown Ballpark, Downtown Oklahoma City
EMS personnel will be recognized during the Oklahoma City Redhawks game.
- Tuesday, May 20 - EMS Day at the Capitol
Rotunda Displays: EMS providers will have an opportunity to interact with members of the Oklahoma Legislature. Display areas will be available all day on the 4th floor rotunda for EMS services and organizations to display information.
- Provider Recognition Ceremony: A ceremony will be held on the steps of the South Plaza of the State Capitol at 11:30 a.m. to recognize Outstanding Emergency Medical Service provided by Advanced and Basic Life Support EMTs, Fire Service EMTs, and Law Enforcement EMTs. A special presentation will be made for the Oklahoma EMTs who have given their lives in the line of duty in the past year.
- Wednesday, May 21 - Annual EMS for Children Day at OU Health Sciences Center, Bird Library, lobby and patio areas
Oklahoma Emergency Medical Services for Children will be coordinating a variety of activities and displays at this event, from static displays about injury prevention to demonstrations by EMS providers and hands-on activities for children. This event will include fire service and law enforcement from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the library’s lobby and patio areas located at the corner of Stanton L. Young and Stonewall in Oklahoma City.
- Thursday, May 22 - EMS Softball Tournament in Shawnee
This event will benefit the families of Shane Gilmore and Shawn Skelly, paramedics from Southern Oklahoma Ambulance Service in Ardmore, who died last year in the line of duty. Service teams will compete for a trophy and other various prizes.
- Saturday, May 24 - National Moment of Silence
This event is to remember the nation’s EMS providers who have made the ultimate sacrifice and given their lives in the line of duty. All EMS and communications agencies participating observe 60 seconds of radio silence on this day at 7 p.m. (EDT). The National EMS Memorial Service in Roanoke, Va., organizes this event.
Sponsors: Sponsor organizations for these events include: Oklahoma State Department of Health EMS Division, Oklahoma EMS for Children, Oklahoma EMT Association, Oklahoma State Firefighters Association, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma Peace Officers Association, Oklahoma Ambulance Association, OSU-OKC, REACT EMS, EMSA, Oklahoma Association of Police Chiefs, Central Plastics of Shawnee, Safe Kids Coalition, State Farm Insurance, and American Heart Association.