Office of Primary Care / Provider Relations, Recruitment & Retention
Oklahoma Volunteer Charitable Healthcare Provider Program
The Oklahoma Volunteer Charitable Healthcare Provider Program offers state tort liability insurance to health care providers who provide care to medically indigent persons at a free clinic, or specialty providers providing care as a result of a referral from a free clinic.
Eligible applicants will be considered state employees for liability purposes under the Oklahoma Governmental Tort Claims Act (OGTCA) and would therefore be immune from personal liability for professional services when provided on behalf of the free clinic.
This program implements the rules resulting from Title 51 O.S. § 152.2, which:
• Establishes eligibility criteria for charitable health care providers and medically indigent persons;
• Establishes procedures for entering and revoking contracts between the Oklahoma State Department of Health and Charitable Health Care Providers and responsibilities and obligations pursuant to such contracts;
• Eligible Providers: The definition of Charitable Health Care Provider includes any person or facility defined as a health care provider including medical doctors, osteopaths, dentists, registered nurses, physician's assistants, pharmacists, optometrists, licensed practical nurses, chiropractors, podiatrists, physical therapists and assistants, occupational therapists and assistants, respiratory therapists, dental hygienists, phlebotomists, and mental health technicians; and
• Providers must have a current Oklahoma licensure or certification.
For more information and the required forms, please select the Oklahoma Volunteer Healthcare Provider Program Documents below:
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE OKLAHOMA VOLUNTEER HEALTHCARE PROVIDER PROGRAM:
If you are a free clinic that does not bill for any third party reimbursement such as Medicaid, Medicare, etc. and assures patients that no payment or contribution is required for care, please go to the following site to register with the OKVHCP program. Upon registration, we will link you with a site so your health care providers wishing to be covered under the state tort insurance program can file an application for a contract with the Oklahoma State Department of Health for this important coverage.
• Free Clinic Registration Link
• FQHC Clinic Registration Link
If you are a provider that volunteers in a free clinic that has already registered with the OKVHCP program or if you are a private practice provider who is currently taking referrals or is willing to accept referrals from a free clinic and agrees to provide care to that referred patient free of charge, please go to the following site to apply for a contract under our OKVHCP State Tort Insurance program.
• Free Clinic Provider Application Link
• FQHC Provider Registration Application Link
If you are a provider that volunteers in a free clinic / FQHC / CHC who has already registered with the OKVHCP program, you are required to renew your contract with the Oklahoma State Department of Health by June 30 of each year. Please refer to the following sites below to renew your contract under the OKVHCP State Tort Insurance program.
• FQHC / CHC - FQHC Provider Renewal
• OKVHCP - Provider Renewal Addendum
Free Clinic Patient Referral
If you are a free health care clinic and your providers wish to make a referral to a sub-specialist who will see the referred patient for free, please access the link below to utilize the attached referral form. The referring provider working in your clinic must have a current contract with the Oklahoma Volunteer Charitable Healthcare Provider Program (OKVHCP) to be covered under the state tort liability act. In addition, the healthcare specialist receiving your patient referral must have a current contract with OKVHCP to be covered under the state tort liability act. This does not prohibit your clinic from making referrals to any specialist you deem appropriate, but the provider will not be covered under the state tort liability act without having established a contract with OSDH for that purpose.
• Referral Form Link
Program Grant Consultant
1000 NE 10th Street, Room 915
Oklahoma City 73117-1299
Phone: (405) 271-9444, ext. 56586
Fax: (405) 271-1225