Baby’s Safety - One Year
Baby is more independent and curious, runs about, is reckless, and always exploring new things. Takes toys and other things apart.
- Keep car seat rear-facing until two years of age or they have reached the upper weight limit of the seat.
- Baby should never be left alone in vehicle, especially in hot weather.
- Driver should make sure he/she knows where the child is before moving vehicle.
- Keep baby away from ice chests, hot tubs, buckets, whirlpools, and washers in and outside the home.
- Always stay with baby in swimming pools and kiddie pools.
- Keep baby away from ponds. It is difficult to save a child from a deep, muddy pond.
- Keep baby securely strapped in stroller, high chair, swing, or shopping cart.
- Use buffer or protector around belts of shopping cart which may be soiled.
- Never leave alone on counters, beds, tables, couches, or other high places.
- If riding on bicycle with adult, should be in a rear-mounted seat, wearing helmet.
- Keep cleaning products, alcohol, and medications up high and away from food.
- Keep plants and planting pots out of reach of baby.
- Keep baby away from poisonous plants, flowers and trees outside the home.
- Keep medications and cleaning supplies in a locked cabinet.
- Have safety caps on all medicines and household chemicals.
- Keep camphor and other items in a locked area.
- Never store lye cleaners in the home
- Call Poison Control (1-800-222-1222) or bring child to emergency room if child may have eaten anything poisonous.
Safety Points for Day Care/Other Homes
- Cribs and mattresses and places used for care of baby should be same as suggested for home.
- No wires or cords near crib or play area.
- Cover electric outlets and barricade electric appliances and cords.
- Remove water containers, medicines and plants from baby care area.
- No guns or ammunition.
- Keep hot food and liquids, and utensils out of baby’s reach.
- Keep window areas clear of furniture and use window guards.
- Gates should be in place at all stairs and rooms that are off limits.
Safety – Environment
- Keep baby away from front-loading dryers and washers.
- Remove all breakable items from tables and cabinets, and install child-proof latches to cabinets.
- Place crib mattress at lowest level. No large toys or bumper pads.
- Do not allow baby near electric or motorized toys, toys with small pieces, or balloons.
- Don’t store toys in chests with lids where child can be caught or injured.
- Continue to use gates at the top and bottom of stairs.
- Keep child away from electric outlets and stoves.
- Keep child in safe place (high chair or playpen) when working and cooking in kitchen.
- Keep baby in a safe place when you grill outside or use lawnmower.
Injury Prevention Service, OSDH, 1000 NE 10th Street, Oklahoma City, OK 73117
Revised September 2012
Print Friendly PDF