School Health Program
The School Health Program provides leadership and coordination for preventive health and safety services to children and families through collaborative partnerships with other state agencies and organizations. Services provided include: policy and standards development, technical assistance, assessment, outreach, training, and resource provision.
- Children ages 5-18
- Families & communities
- Schools & agencies that serve children
- Foster and increase communication and resource sharing between state agencies
- Have healthy, educated students who become adults equipped with health-related skills, beliefs and practices conducive to a lifetime of learning, good health, productivity and economic success
- Address health education, risk reduction, prevention and treatment
- Establish partnerships – families, schools and communities
- Develop, implement and evaluate programs
- Create policies and regulations
- Train school health personnel
- Provide technical assistance and consultation
- Support community/school programs
- Report data on health status and develop solutions in community partnerships (Administer TOTS, 1st Grade, 5th Grade, and YRBS assessment tools)
- Assure quality improvement
- Provide for direct services as needed
- Mobilize community partnerships and action to solve local problems
- Improve school environments
- Establish school health standards
- Reduction of preventable diseases and injuries in children and families
- Healthier future generations in Oklahoma
For more information, please contact the School Health Program at (405) 271-4471
Note the following files require the FREE Adobe (TM) Reader.
Standards For School Health (83k .pdf )
Oklahoma Emergency Guidelines for Schools (534k .pdf)
Guidelines: A School Hearing Screening Program (195k .pdf)
Guidelines: Hearing and Middle-Ear Screening (151k .pdf)
Managing Asthma A Guide for Schools, NHLBI
EPA Air Quality and Outdoor Activities: Recommendations for Schools (104.9k .pdf).
Weather Guidelines for Schools (294.4k .pdf).
Child and Adolescent Health Division
1000 Northeast Tenth Street, Rm. 903
Oklahoma City, OK 73117-1299
Phone: (405) 271-4471
e-mail: Ann Benson, M.S.N., A.P.R.N.-C.N.P.