Employee Rights & Relations
Elvin Baum, Civil Rights Administrator
3400 Martin Luther King Avenue
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73111-4298
Phone: (405) 425-2557
Fax: (405) 425-7211
The primary focus of the Employee Rights and Relations Unit is to serve the employees of the agency by providing technical expertise, the department’s affirmative action plan, knowledge and assistance in adherence to employment related rules/regulations, policies, procedures, laws, and in agency practices.
The Unit consists of team members, Ms. Joyce Perry, Civil Rights Administrator I, Ms. Kim Moon, Secretary V, and Elvin Baum, Civil Rights Administrator. The Unit investigates formal discrimination grievances which come under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, sexual harassment, Americans with Disabilities Act complaints, cultural diversity and other related issues. In addition, the Unit assists all facility Affirmative Action Committees with problem solving, training, current information and updates.
Discrimination results when distinctions or differentiations are based on an employee’s protected class status (race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, handicap, Vietnam era or disabled veteran) in violation of one or more employment laws that include Oklahoma Statutes, Merit Rules for Employment and federal laws, regulations, acts and orders.
The Employee Rights and Relation Unit goals include but are not limited to:
- Ensure that all EEO posters and program information is prominently posted throughout the agency’s facilities
- A reduction in Employee grievances and complaints
- Continued communication(s) with agency leadership and subordinates
- Cultural Diversity (good faith practices)
- Provide training and development to all employees and supervisors on Civil Rights rules, regulations, policy procedures and laws
- Conflict Resolution and Mediation information
- Assist in resolving issues and conflict informally
- Demonstrate the value of equal employment opportunity to the agency and employees
The Employee Rights and Relations Unit Staff are available to any staff member and/or members of the public who may have questions or in need of information pertaining to the services we provide. The Employee Rights and Relations Unit always lead from the front by “Protecting the Public, Protecting the Employee and Protecting the Offender.”
The department’s annual Affirmative Action Plan is distributed to executive staff, wardens and district supervisors to aid them in meeting goals and timetables concerning affirmative action issues, to aid their affirmative action committees and to make it accessible to all staff.
Listed and linked below are DOC policies and procedures which address, in part, affirmative action, discrimination and/or diversity. DOC staff may find these helpful when in need of information and/or guidance regarding these issues:
- OP-110110 Enrollment Procedures for New Employees
- OP-110205 Employee Grievance Resolution Procedures
- OP-110215 Rules Concerning the Individual Conduct of Employees
- OP-110235 Hiring and Promotional Procedures
- OP-110236 Oklahoma Department of Corrections Recruitment Program
- OP-110410 Affirmative Action Committees