Carbon Sequestration Certification Program
Oklahoma Carbon Offset Registry
The Oklahoma Conservation Commission publishes the Oklahoma Carbon Offset Registry to provide transparency to Oklahoma carbon offset projects. The registry is not a trading platform; it is for informational purposes only.
Two categories of offsets are published:
- Carbon offsets verified by the carbon program
Oklahoma carbon offsets verified and certified by the Oklahoma Carbon Program are published to the Registry free of charge.
A certificate of verification bearing the stamp of the Oklahoma Conservation Commission will be issued for these offsets.
- Carbon offsets NOT verified by the carbon program
Oklahoma carbon offsets verified by another approved person or program may be published to the Registry if the project successfully passes a desk audit conducted by the Oklahoma Carbon Program or other approved entity. Persons signatory to a contract for, or owning an interest in, an Oklahoma carbon offset, allowance, credit or sequestration project that was not verified by the Oklahoma Carbon Program may apply to have the information published to the Registry. These offsets will be clearly labeled and distinguishable on the Registry from those verified and certified by the carbon program. Applications to register this type of offset will be available on this website soon. The application fee is $50.
Potential buyers look at registries to determine information such as:
- What type of offset is it?
- Where is the offset located?
- Who verified the offset?
- How was the offset verified?
- What standard was used to verify the offset?
- Was the offset already sold to someone else?
- Does the offset represent a real reduction in CO2?
- Did the offset create environmental co-benefits or harm?
Making the answers to these questions available to buyers contributes to the credibility and value of offsets whether they are traded on- or off-market.