District Secretary I for Checotah and McIntosh County Conservation Districts
Deadline for submitting applications: August 22, 2014
The district secretary performs secretarial duties in the operations of the Checotah and McIntosh County Conservation Districts. Duties include clerical work, receptionist, accounting, assisting with board meetings, conservation education, cost share program and payroll. The secretary is supervised by the district board of directors and one director is designated as the day-to-day contact for the secretary. Performance evaluations will be based upon standards of performance established for each major job duty listed below. Performance evaluations will be based upon standards of performance established for each of the major job duties listed below.
Full-time (40 hours per week) benefitted position with a starting salary of $10.50 per hour
Health insurance, retirement plan, vacation and sick leave (details below)
- High school diploma - some college preferred
- Valid Oklahoma Drivers License
- Applicants must have a working knowledge of general office procedures, computer software applications and bookkeeping.
- Outgoing, self-starter with strong organizational and communication skills.
- Successful candidate must be willing to submit to a federal background check in order to gain access to computer system
- Conservation Districts are a drug free / tobacco free workplace. Employees are subject to random drug testing
JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Secretary and Office Receptionist
- Serves as the office receptionist and secretary with duties including answering the phone, composing correspondence, maintaining office files and supplies, making appointments for staff and operating a computer, copy machine, fax machine, and other office equipment.
- Greets customers, answers questions and refers customers to the appropriate staff member for assistance. Assists customers wanting copies of aerial photos, information about district programs and activities, or general information.
- Receives district mail and takes needed action or distributes to other employees or board members for action.
- Assists NRCS staff by answering phones and providing secretarial assistance based upon guidelines from the district board.
- Orders and maintains office supplies.
- The secretary assists the district board with their monthly and special board meetings and performs the following duties:
- Prepares and mails appropriate materials to board members prior to meetings.
- Working with the board chairmen, prepares meeting agendas and post them according to Open Meeting Act rules.
- Maintains an active file of correspondence and other items for development of monthly meeting agendas.
- Prepares financial statements and organizes correspondence and other materials for board review at meetings.
- Keeps the district chairman and district manager advised of any issues needing board attention.
- Takes minutes at meetings, types the minutes and follows established schedules and guidelines on distribution of minutes.
- Stays informed on Open Meeting Act requirements.
- Makes a report of monthly activities at board meetings.
- The secretary serves as the Conservation Cost Share Program Officer in publicizing the program, accepting applications, arranging for ranking of eligible applications, maintaining files on all applicants, assisting participants complete application and forms for payment, and submits required reports to the Oklahoma Conservation Commission.
- The secretary works with the district manager to plan and coordinate conservation education activities. These activities may include presentations at schools, civic clubs and other organizations, outdoor resource days, providing educational materials to schools and students, essay, speech and poster contests, and other activities.
Financial Records and Reports
- The district secretary is responsible for maintaining conservation district financial records which includes:
- Prepares checks for signature, makes deposits, pays bills, and receives payments to the district.
- Maintains an income and expense ledger for the district, as well as a ledger for the district’s fund allocation for operating expenses.
- Posts all ledgers on a regular basis and files claims with the Oklahoma Conservation Commission.
- Prepares books and records for auditor.
- Assists in assembling data for annual and long-range plans, and other reports to the Oklahoma Conservation Commission.
Time and Leave Records and Payroll
- The district secretary maintains time and leave reports for district employees, calculates payroll deductions (including computation and reporting for federal and state income tax, unemployment compensation and social security withholding), reports salaries for Workers Compensation benefits and is responsible for W-2’S and 1099’s.
- Files claims with the Oklahoma Conservation Commission for reimbursable items.
Conservation District Employee Benefits
4 Core Benefits:
Basic Life Insurance of $ 20,000 with Accidental, Death & Dismemberment Disability Insurance
Benefit Allowance – given to eligible employees to pay for core benefits. Approximately 75% of dependents health insurance paid.
Supplemental Life Insurance
AFLAC policies such as Cancer, Accident, Specified Event
Medical and Dependent Care Reimbursement Accounts
Retirement – Defined Benefit Program – member’s benefits are determined by a formula which includes the member’s salary and the number of years of credited service.
Annual Leave – Accrual depends upon years of service with the state.
Sick Leave – 10 hrs / month accrued.
Holidays - Average of 10 days per year, as specified each year by the Governor
Longevity Payment Program – Applies to eligible employees after 2 years of continuous employment. Annual payment based on years of service with the state.
How to apply
Access the application online at:
http://www.ok.gov/conservation/documents/OCC Employment Application_fillable_new.pdf
Download Application (Note: Save to your computer before filling out)
Optional: Provide a resume or certificates of training
Applications may be picked up at:
Checotah / McIntosh County Conservation Districts
USDA Service Center
201 Matthews Lane
Eufaula, OK 74432
Mail applications to:
Checotah and McIntosh County Conservation Districts
USDA Service Center
201 Matthews Lane
Eufaula, OK 74432
Email to: Lisa.Knauf@conservation.ok.gov
Applications must be postmarked or emailed by: August 22, 2014
Questons: Contact Lisa Knauf Owen at Oklahoma Conservation Commission at (405) 521-6797 or email: Lisa.Knauf@conservation.ok.gov