The Structured Cabling Service (SCS) provides a means to have qualified vendors provide structured cabling infrastructure installation, moves, adds, and changes to new and existing local area networks (LANs). LAN cabling infrastructure provided with this service enables the transport of voice, data, and video over various copper and fiber optic media. The service is available throughout the State and can include cabling infrastructure for new buildings, renovated buildings and campus environments.
The SCS provides a comprehensive approach to providing high quality, standards based wiring infrastructure in adherence to the State of Oklahoma's STS 1000 Telecommunications Wiring Guidelines and Telecommunications Industry Association/Electronics Industry Alliance (TIA/EIA) Telecommunications Building Wiring Standards. he SCS provides consultative services for the planning and design of cabling projects for both internal and outside plant cabling projects.
The SCS has 3 installation categories for projects:
- Category A:
- Routine moves, adds and changes as well as repairs not exceeding 75 cable drops
- Awards are regional in coverage
- Category B Inside Plant:
- Design, bid process, and construction management for major renovations and new installs for complex projects or projects exceeding 75 cable drops
- Category B Outside Plant:
- Design and bid process for major renovations and new installs for complex projects requiring in-ground conduit or cable placement to provide interconnectivity between buildings in a campus environment
- Cable media can be any combination of copper, optical fiber, or coaxial
- After the design phase for Category B projects, the SCS manages the procurement and installation phases of the project thereby ensuring continuity, efficiency and professional results
Note: A cable drop is defined as one faceplate, to include the cables, jacks and patch-panel ports that are attached to it. A cable drop can have up to six 4-pair cables attached as long as all cables originate from the same distribution room or closet.
STS1000 Telecommunications Wiring Guidelines
The SCS will review and advise architect/engineers of the State’s requirements for cable placement and equipment room design. Using the latest in Computer Aided Design (CAD) software, the SCS can input computer based design drawings for cabling infrastructure design and review. The customer can expect:
- Coordination of cabling elements in all phases of Category B project construction
- Coordination with OSF Telecommunications Services for cabling requirements for voice, data, video, and IP telephony based systems
- All cabling to meet current National Electrical Code, Building Industry Consulting Service International (BICSI) recommendations and TIA/EIA
- Telecommunications Building Wiring Standards specifications
- Certified cable plant with test results documentation
- Installations that are performed in adherence to manufacturers’ and standards’ based best practices
- SCS contracts require specifically trained service technicians
This service is available for all Oklahoma state agencies, offices, officers, bureaus, boards, commissions, counsels, units, divisions, bodies, authorities, or institutions of the executive, legislative, or judicial branches of state government. It is also available to counties, municipalities, townships, Tribal governments, and other political subdivisions.
- Start early! Cabling infrastructure is one of the most important steps that must be expertly planned to ensure the IT project is completed on time and on budget.
- By involving SCS in the design phase of the building and/or renovation, the customer can be assured that the cabling infrastructure will take advantage of the latest techniques in design, materials, and installation to ensure the flexibility of the customer’s infrastructure to meet changing resource and future technology needs.
- For agencies who operate their own networks:
- Complete and submit an OSF Form, to initiate a cabling project
- Fax the completed form to (405) 522-1413
- A representative will contact you upon receipt of the form to discuss your specific needs
- For agencies where OSF operates their network:
- Initiate a Service Request ticket by contacting the OSF Service Desk at (405) 521-2444 or HelpDesk@osf.ok.gov
- These agencies are responsible for the cost of the replacement or repair of structured cabling or wiring
How Do We Charge?
The SCS fees are dependent upon the category used for the project. For example:
- Category A projects:
- Fixed price charges based on type of cable utilized, termination method, cable media, etc.
- Each price includes a SCS administrative fee for use of the contracted rates
Region I-III Primary Budgetary Estimating Calculation Sheet
Region I-III Alternate Budgetary Estimating Calculation Sheet
- Category B projects:
- Individually bid
- The bid award amount includes an administrative fee for the SCS design and construction management services.
To order or inquire about this service, please contact the OSF Service Desk.
24 x 7, excluding planned outages, maintenance windows and unavoidable events
Maintenance windows are used only when needed for planned changes that have gone through the ITS Change Management Process. In addition to the Standard ITS Maintenance Windows, site-specific and service-specific changes may be coordinated with customers at non-standard times.
The current planned maintenance window is from 4 a.m.-noon Sunday.