- About Us
- Programs for Children and Youth
- Workforce for All
- DME Reuse
Make-N-Take Talking Picture Frame
Talking Photo Frames may be adapted to provide a small "talking switch" that can be used as a beginning augmentative communication device. The lid of the photo frame is used as a switch to activate the voice. This eliminates the need for a separate switch and there are no wires from the switch to the voice-output device. A picture and/or texture symbol can be attached to the top with Velcro to represent a simple message. A number of these "talking switches" may be placed around the environment or in an array within reach of the individual who is unable to communicate verbally.
1. Cut a slice of the hot glue stick about ¿ inch thick with a pair of scissors.
2. Fasten the slice of hot glue to the lid of the photo frame with stick-tac so that when the frame is closed, the glue stick pushes on the play button and activates the recorded message. See diagram 1. Note: Move the slice of hot glue when you do not want the switch to activate accidentally. For example, in a book bag.
3. Place a 4 inch piece of loop Velcro beginning on the top of the lid, folding back on itself and ending on the bottom of the lid. This makes a flap about 1 ¿ inch long that will fold under the frame and attach to a small piece of hook velcro on the bottom. The purpose of this flap is to fasten the lid loosely shut, leaving enough space so that lid can move up and down to activate the play button.
4. Use a piece of loop Velcro on the top of the switch to fasten pictures and/or texture symbols. Attach the hook Velcro to picture side. Use hook Velcro on the bottom of the switch so that several switches may be attached to a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet mounted to a piece of wood, table or wheelchair tray.
Talking Photo Frame Idea by Linda J. Burkhart, http://www.lburkhart.com
The Oklahoma Assistive Technology Project, Oklahoma ABLE Tech, is funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research of the U.S. Department of Education. To contact OK ABLE Tech call 1-800-257-1705 or INFO-line 1-888-885-5588