- About Us
- Programs for Children and Youth
- Oklahoma Equipment Exchange
- DME Reuse
Make-N-Take Soap Dish Switch
1. Drill two 3/16 inch diameter holes in the top of the soap dish. Drill matching holes in the Plexiglas or other material to be used for the paddle top of the switch.
2. Drill one 7/16 inch diameter hole in the top of the soap dish as shown for the switch.
3. Drill a ¿" diameter hole in the center of one end of the soap dish bottom section. This is for 1/8 inch phone plug.
4. Cut and strip both ends of the speaker wire. Solder the two wires to the leads on the plug. Place tape around 1 wire to insulate from the other wire. Thread wire through phone plug housing; screw together. Insert the plug in the hole in the end of the bottom of the soap dish and tighten. Tie knots to keep wire from slipping through hole. 5. Insert the switch in the center hole of the soap dish top. Tighten the switch. Solder the two wires to the two leads on the switch.
6. Put the screws through the holes in the switch paddle. Put the cut pieces of ¿ inch tubing over the screws. Put the screws through the holes in the top of the soap dish.
7. Put the nuts on the machine screws and tighten until the paddle is stable but the switch operates easily.
8. The back edge of the paddle should touch the soap dish top just after the switch is made. This protects the switch from hard usage.
9. Replace the top on the soap dish. You have a finished switch.
10. May secure two pieces of soap dish with a small screw or glue.
The Oklahoma Assistive Technology Project, Oklahoma ABLE Tech, is funded by the National Institute on Disability and Rehabilitation Research of the U.S. Department of Education. To contact OK ABLE Tech call 1-800-257-1705 or INFO-line 1-888-885-5588